Old Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hi

I have a 1979 Super Galaxy, pretty much as it came out of the box, i love it and commute about 100 miles a week. It has a double suntour cyclone 5 speed which is fine for the commute but want to tour on it. How much work/expense would it be to change to a triple 7/8/9 speed ?

Love the fit and feel of the bike, have a 2006 Dawes and it feels horrible in comparison so would really liker to get this one upgraded, an ideas ?

Cheers

paul

Dave5N

Über Member
Those old Dawes ride really well. You might need to 'spring' the back a bit to get a wider hub in.

Zoiders

Stick to road spacng hubs, we had a Dawes Galaxy in at the workshop, it had hit an unlit skip, the owner wanted the parts transfered on to a vintage galaxy frame, new galaxies have 135 mtb hubs, they just would not go in to a 126 frame, the wheel dish was all wrong and the BB shell was the wrong size as well

The spacings in a new galaxy are the same as a MTB, an old frame is just not compatable with the bits

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
In standard fit the G is probably overgeared. Companies such as Spa cycles may still be able to supply TA/Stronglight pattern chainwheels which allow at least the inner to be changed for something more amenable to hill climbing.

Can you still get "standard" screw on freewheels with a range of sprockets to match? 25 years ago a good shop would do you a custom one with your own choice of ratios.

Hubgear's sheldon brown link mentions the ultra 6 hub which used narrow sprockets to get six into a 125 or thereabouts frame. These were fitted to some mid eighties Galaxies. I don't suppose however they, or even parts for them, are any longer easily available - is there the cycling equivalent of an auto jumble?

I fitted an 8 speed hub into my early '80s Galaxy frame by the simple expedient of pulling the rear stays apart a bit. It's worked fine for years.

One other thing you have to watch with 'springing' to fit a wider hub is that should you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere, it can be fiddly holding the stays apart to reinsert the wheel. I made a little wooden dowel out of broom handle, 'v' notched each end and with a felt pad stuck on. I carry it in my toolbag. It holds the stays apart just enough for me to get the hub back in without wrestling.

... and you might need a new front mech to accommodate a triple.

There are places that will 'cold set' the rear stays to a new width, and I believe there were instructions on the web on how to do this at one time, but I have no experience of this.

Best to check the whole idea out with your LBS (which is what I did) rather than get in a mess.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Thanks for the advice all. Think i'm going to leave it, and enjoy it for what it is, the odd push can't hurt !

Out of interset, when these bikes were designed, were people fitter, did they do less miles, or did they accept knee injuries and early retirement from cycling ?

thanks again

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
upsidedown said:
Thanks for the advice all. Think i'm going to leave it, and enjoy it for what it is, the odd push can't hurt !

Out of interset, when these bikes were designed, were people fitter, did they do less miles, or did they accept knee injuries and early retirement from cycling ?

thanks again

I think the knee injury thing is nearest. Spinning a low gear seems to be post seventies advice.

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Ok, gave this some more thought, as a couple of you mentioned i think i'm going to go to LBS and ask about changing the chainrings. Currently running 36 - 48, looking at the newer models they have 26 - 36 - 48, which sounds a bit easier.

Top Bottom