Olympic Road Race

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by Trickedem, 12 Jul 2012.

1. Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

I am planning on riding to the Olympic Road on Saturday 28th July. I don't have any tickets to the zig zag, but was considering watching it from here
    http://goo.gl/maps/Z75V
    This is on the Box Hill loop that they will be doing 9 times.
    According to http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-cycling/race-times/ the timings are as follows.
    Box Hill - circuit entrance 11.40am
    Box Hill - circuit exit 2.50pm
    I need to get away sharpish as I have something on in the evening, so I don't want to get trapped in the middle of the loop with no escape route.
    If anyone else is going it would be good to meet up. I will be riding down there from Rochester, then returning afterwards. It is a round trip of a 100miles or so.

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

yup count me in. where can we meet

3. rb58

rb58 Enigma

I'm a probable.

4. me too, GLW is away with the kids that weekend so passes are a moot point.

5. OP
    OP
    Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

How about at Westerham. Costa Coffee is open from 7am.

6. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Yup...good for me

7. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

ANy idea what time the roads will be closed off to bikes by, on the day? Presumably a cpl of hours before the peloton arrive...

8. OP
    OP
    Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

I reckon it could be even earlier than that. I know originally some people had talked about a night ride down to Box Hill, but wasn't sure if that was ever going to come off, hence deciding to make my way there directly from home. We will be approaching the route from the South East so hopefully will avoid the crowds

9. I was thinking of heading South from Crypal, through the girls school and across through Merstham.

10. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

Road closures for the circuit itself go in at 0400 on Saturday, or so I've been led to believe.

Whether you can blag it on a bike is another matter.

11. musa

musa Über Member

Yeah im in I see why not / going there sunday probably

12. iLB

iLB Hello there

Rode over boxhill yesterday and was thinking about the ORR, there are a couple of pubs/restaurant type places along the false flat at the top of the climb- as private entities I'm guessing they can operate as usual whilst the race is on (apart from the no cars thing). Might be worth approaching them to book a table or something to guarantee a place to watch from?

13. OP
    OP
    Trickedem

Trickedem Veteran

Thanks, I am a little bit reluctant to book as I think there is a good chance we will end up getting caught behind some barriers by people in hi-viz jackets! But we will certainly see what is like when we get there on the morning.

14. ChrisBailey

ChrisBailey Well-Known Member

Hi Chris B

I live much closer than you guys, I always planned to watch the ride on the Box Hill loop, so will be there what ever, any idea what time and where you will arrive on the circuit? can you PM me your phone number so we can connect on the day?

Having watched a number of TdF stages and waited many hours for the arrival, a nearby pub would be a great help, so I'm with ILB for trying to find a base other than a place by the side of the road.

Chris B

15. Hi Chris - will indeed, I've got other non-cycling friends wanting to watch it too at the moment, which may end us up on Richmond Park, but I'll send you obver my details and keep you posted.

Think I'm watching the Women's race the next day at the Belgian embassy though....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice