Olympics 2020 Spoilers and chat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A gold medal to a kid for poncing about on a skateboard. This is getting ridiculous.
Explain what you mean by this???

vickster

Legendary Member
My chainsaw juggling club are lobbying hard for Paris - skill AND bravery đź‘Ť
I'd say you need bravery for skateboarding at the highest level too

Certainly more than running 100m...other than the risks posed by the scary starting gun, starting blocks and spiky shoes :ph34r:. You even have to stay in only one lane :whistle:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
As an old phart I was more than a little sceptical about the inclusion of skateboarding - what do 'dude', 'stoked', 'sick', and 'rad' mean anyway? And what function do those baggy trouser-short things serve, other than showing the waistband of your underwear? But having watched the highlights of the two competitions, I have to confess to being impressed. Impressed with the skill and undoubted hours and hours of practice, the commitment and the resilience it must take to reach those standards of performance. Most of all though, I was humbled by the the way competitors supported one another and celebrated each other's performance and success. So much less cynical than many professional sports. And all in people (mostly) still young.

And on a similar note, another new sport - climbing - seems to share the same ethic and sense of camaraderie.

vickster

Legendary Member
That was one awkward horse in the women's modern pentathlon :ohmy: Poor German athlete
And congrats to GB

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Rerun on the Beeb this afternoon with an expert who largely blamed the rider making too many mistakes, the horse can only sense the rider and use of the reigns and legs is important. View was she was obviously expecting the worse after the ROCs riders problems but did little to encourage the horse

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I have found the skateboarding and the BMX joyous - no other word for it. To see those kids doing their thing, those amazing stunts, then hugging and chilling out together afterwards was heartwarming.

Likewise the rhythmic gymnastics. Girl runs around with a hoop or a ball. What's that all about? But omg ... she bounces it off her knee, it goes 80ft in the air, then she catches it with her foot that's behind her head and does a back flip through it (ok... slight exaggeration). Amazing stuff.

Bmx and skateboarding have been retained for Paris next time too.

Top Bottom