Olympics overspend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
Apparently Its cost 12bn so far 3 bn over budget so in these tough economic times Is it Value for money?does anyone know how much revenue Its likely to generate?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Government initiatives always cost more then they say, no-one can stick to a budget these days.
I suppose it comes down to how much inward revenue from abroad it generates.... I think we've paid enough!

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 1696985, member: 45"]And the torch relay and training camps?[/quote]
Pocket change.

It's just a vanity project. Every time we bid for stuff like this, the Great and the Good blether on about 'inspiring young athletes' and 'legacy'. But there is several decades of research evidence showing the these events have almost no impact on public participation in sport - which is what we should actually be spending the money on.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't think anyone really knows how much revenue will be generated. There was some tourism man on the news last night who thought that by the time you'd downrated projections for the recession, particularly in the Eurozone, and then uprated them again for the Olympics and the Jubbly, the tourism industry would end up more or less where it was last year. Which seems like a lot of effort just to get back where you started.

I'll be watching the road race in London and have a jaunt down to the paralympic road down in Brands Hatch so they won't be getting much out of me, and with a little bit of effort I'll get back to where I started. It will be good to have that enormous building site at Stratford open again. It's a pain having to go round it.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Positives: Coe and co. will be a step closer to their Knighthoods and Mr Beckham can Captain the GB football team to tick another box on his list of things to do before he pops his clogs.

Never, in the field of human sport has so few ego's been paid for by so many !

numbnuts

Legendary Member
no-one can stick to a budget these days.
oh yes they can - it's called normal people living on a low income

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm not falling for that one bff! :smile:

I blame the architects . no really, I do. they choose fittings and want them suspended in a way the manufacturer didn't design them to be suspended so don't work. 5 times they have changed the suspension type and it still looks gash, each install needs to be paid for. I am ashamed to put my name to the install as it truly looks terrible. never mind the cost of the fitting . 180 of them at £800 each for a building that will be rubble by this time next year. but i have said enough now.

subaqua

What’s the point
. It will be good to have that enormous building site at Stratford open again. It's a pain having to go round it.

you do know its closed to non ticket holders during the games and then after the site is back into lockdown for the dismantling works and leagcy implementation ( 2 years approx)

OP
OP
Nearly there

Nearly there

Veteran
What about the venues did they really need to build all these purpose built arenas? a basketball arena for one could the O2 or wembley not have had this?could manchester not have had the cycling at their already built velodrome?Are there no ready built Bmx tracks in or around London?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Don't even get me started.

It's gone over budget, so they cut all the youth sports clubs in London, hence why our athletes have said that our medal tally is probably going to be the lowest it has been for some time.

Businesses in East London are going to LOSE money because we have been commanded from on-high that we are not allowed to open and we will be fined if we have trucks stopping outside making/taking delieveries.

As the East End will no longer be used for the marathon or the walking medals, no real revenue will be made by the people living/working here.

We have been barred from using public transport or the bus/cycle lanes.

I, for one, am all in favour of giving the stadium to a bunch of pyromaniacs (eff off Tottenham) and locking Seb Coe and chums inside.

Biggest white elephant the UK has ever purchased.

subaqua

What’s the point
im with Tilly here . Newham have kept quiet that the last public pool in the borough is about to close. waltham forest are realigning and "upgrading " roads to jhelp cars move , and screw the rest of you .

the cultural olympiad is dead as LBWF are closing libraries in the borough.

Drapers Fields

Top Bottom