Olymps DSLR - anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Thinking of changing my camera and like the idea of an Olympus (had OM1s years ago, still have brand loyalty!). Their desire to go their own way appeals to me, sort of quircky but in a good way (a bit like SAAB in the motoring world, and yes I drive a 9-5 estate).

Currently have a Nikon D70S, but a disaster** with a zoom lens means I'm less committed to Nikon now. So, buy a new camera and pass my D70 to a very grateful daughter.

The reviews of the E-620 look good, anyone got any experience of them? Or the E-510/E-520? Or am I being daft and should stick with the Canon/Nikon mainstream.

I'm an enthusiastic amateur, no more than that. What says the Cyclechat massive?

** Don't carry your camera gear unprotected in a tank bag on a Buell XB12S Lightning motorcycle and not expect it to get shaken to pieces. Literally.

Norm

Saab 9-5 and an XB... yes, I think an Olympus is just what you need. :biggrin:

(Merc, Buell X1 and Nikon over here :thumbsup: )

My uncle has an E510, I think. Useful camera, nicely sized. When I am cogitating new hardware, I take a couple of memory cards down to my local store (Jessops is about all that's left now) and run some pix through a couple of different options onto them - last year, for instance, I tried it with 4 compacts and a compact I already had. I can then bring the cards home and check out the details in comfort without a nagging salesman in my ear.

I'm an OM1 man as well and still enjoy taking photos on it. I went for the E400 series when it came out and love it - it is very reminiscent of the OM cameras in being small, light and well balanced unlike many of the big ugly brutes that go for digital SLRs these days. The E500 is a bit bigger but if you liked OM I think you'll like it too. It also takes great photos and coupled with the Olympus 14-150 lens makes a good single lens all purpose camera.

Bobtoo

Über Member
My wife got an Olympus E520 last year in Jessops. We'd gone for a look at the Nikon D3000 so we could share lenses but we spotted the Olympus for £249 with two lenses. There was some kind of offer on and it only cost £4 to add a memory card, extended warranty and Lowepro bag.

I've not used it much but I've noticed it has one-touch access to some of the more common controls and the menu structure seems quite logical. I suspect it may be better at taking pictures than my Nikon too, but I'd have to take it on one of my expeditions to compare like for like, and Mrs Too wouldn't allow that.

I certainly haven't seen any reason to regret buying Olympus.

I have two cameras I use for most trips. The Olympus E420 and the PEN EPL1

The menus are almost the same, butt he way the EPL1 is able to pre set the image "live" on the screen is breathtaking!

Simple things like being able to lighten the dark areas, darken the light areas, alter the warmth and colour are a wonderful way of being able to take pictures as you want to.

The E420 is small compared to most DSLRs, but the PEN is even smaller!

If I eally had to chhose I would go for the additional creativity of the PEN

DTD

Veteran
Have used a number of the E series cameras, have an E1 and E3 which are built like tanks (and heavy). Olympus loaned me an E400 and E510 – they're all good cameras and some of the lenses are better than the kit offerings of Canikon.

However, should you change from what you know? Probably not. I also find the 4/3 sensors a a bit noisey compared to some of the other, larger sensors.

To be honest most dSLRs are pretty good and a lot of it comes down to what feels right and you like – bit like bikes really.

Deckitout

The Olympus 4/3 brand has pretty much stopped developing since they have decided to develop there Micro 4/3 line. The E620 is a great Camera but compared to todays offerings is at least 3 year old technology

I shoot semi-professionally and use both Nikon (pro gear) for my main work and Micro 4/3 for the general everyday stuff. The beauty with Micro 4/3 is that you can use either Panansonic or Olympus bodies with the lens and vice verca

All the later sensors in Cameras like the Nikon 5100 will be superior also the Pen line and Panasonic G series, but it's really down to your buget.

My Oly EPL1 cost me £230 and is smaller and has a better sensor the the E620. My Panasonic G1 cost £250.

My advice is you want a small high quality lightweight system is to look at Micro 4/3, stick a 14/150 lens on and you will not need anything else, that is my most used combo.

My only problem with the micro 4/3 is the weird pricing of lenses. The same lens can vary between £230 and £600 !

The stock 14-42mm lens is more expensive than the camera itself

I use a stock 44-42 and the 40-150 as this was a good package.

However you can get an adapter for the PEN (£150) that allows the standard 4/3 lens to be used.

Top Bottom