OMG This is gonna hurt bigtime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migmiller

New experience. Ripping as fast as I could standing up I pulled my right leg out of my SPuD. thereby performing some fairly impressive break dancing with bike. Good news- bike relatively unharmed. Bad news - four flaming hours in A & E _ just bruising etc. Strange thing - clothing all OK no rips or tears. I wonder if the lack of freewheel and the fact that I was tangled up in bike meant skid was significantly reduced and thus my injuries are more impact related. Any thoughts?

GrahamG

Guru
Ooooooh, that's always bad out of the saddle, any other time it's recoverable with a few leg bruises but... ow.

OP
OP
M

migmiller

Thanks for your kind words.
I agree about bruising rather than road rash although I have spent all day discovering more areas of tenderness

domtyler

Über Member
That's why I would never use those ridiculous little SPD's. Give me proper pedals every time, SPD-SLs for me.

Since going fixed and turning into a torque-monster I've managed to pull my feet out of the SPuDs on the upstroke.. usually during an attempted fast getaway from the lights.

I just hold off a little bit now.

I like using the SPuDs as I've got them on shoes I can walk in. Is this possible with the SPD-SLs?

OP
OP
M

migmiller

I did pull out on the upstroke whilst trying to get away from a van that had been haunting me. I got to a double roundabout and went for it through the first. Thinking about it I probably eased off slightly until I could see the path through the second was clear and then kicked again and it was this that led to my downfall. My thought for using SPuDs was that I could walk in the shoes. I am now going to put Keos on like my road bikes. Interestingly I found yet another cluster of sore bits in the shower this morning. Thankfully the ribs have already started to ease off so as soon as the bike is back together again I'll get out.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh crapola! Glad it's nothing worse.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm amazed that Bonj hasn't come on here yet and pointed out that riding fixed is obviously life-threatening. Oh and ramp up those spd's as tight as possible - they do tend to get a little bit loose as they wear out (or wear in if they're new!).

OP
OP
M

migmiller

As I've now ventilated my SPD shoes I think I will probably now pop on the LOOKs and see where I go from there.

In fact, my only concerns on my way down were that I would damage the bike and rip my clothes, thankfully none of which happened too badly.

As a single fixie novice I could possibly have welcomed Bonj's advice last Tuesday but now I know the results I might as well stick with it.

Better to live one day on a single than always be seeking an easier gear.

As for the mess of the legs I'm quite proud of them and want to show them off but the rib situation continues to dog me. Part of my frustration is that I have been going to work and nothing frustrates me more than to be able to work but not play.

Still, back soon

OP
OP
M

migmiller

Gonna try to get out tomorrow on road bike (geared) only thing is I thought Sunday Monday that ribs were getting better but they seem grim at moment. still I need to get out as I appear to be fading away to a mountain feeling sorry for myself.

Thanks for the thought, I just can't promise I won't do it again. It all seemed as easy as falling off a bike.

Top Bottom