One in four evening and weekend GP appointments in CCG trials unused

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had to wait a month or more to see a particular GP at the local practice on a couple of occasions. I would be delighted for an evening of weekend appointment. However, maybe a lot of people don't want to lose their spare time. Maybe a lot of people don't know about the new system.

How long was the pilot scheme running, BTW?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
My Doctors are making appointments very hard to get for some of us who go out to work. Phone at 8am for that day, or Tuesday at 2pm, you are unlikely to get through at either time and the very few slots are likely to be filled when you do. Online, well I am yet to see an appointment up there.

Phaeton

Guru
Yep similar here, can't get past the receptionists. :wacko:
No this is worse than that, you can't actually book an appointment, it's not just having to negotiate around the dragon on reception, the only thing you can do is leave your name & phone number on a voicemail & then somebody calls you back to assess you before they will allow an appointment.

Phaeton

Guru
Last week when trying to book I was asked if my condition was life threatening, how am I supposed to know, surely that is what the Doctor should tell me.
Yes the message on ours is now If an emergency dial 999, if you feel it's life threatening call 111 otherwise wait & leave a message,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes the message on ours is now If an emergency dial 999, if you feel it's life threatening call 111 otherwise wait & leave a message,
111 ought to be able to book GP appointments if seeing a GP is their conclusion IMO but I don't think they can.

I can book online but very limited choice, more than a week ahead and not certain types of appointment. Phoning usually works, no specific calling time requirement, but I suspect I've some hospital loyalty scheme status so no-one questions what I'm requesting.

I don't think there are any evening appointments and few Saturday ones.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
No this is worse than that, you can't actually book an appointment, it's not just having to negotiate around the dragon on reception, the only thing you can do is leave your name & phone number on a voicemail & then somebody calls you back to assess you before they will allow an appointment.
When I read things like this, it is easy to understand the attraction of a bribe of an extra £350 million for the NHS.

My better half forgot her medication for a holiday in England, and I well remember the hassle of even trying to get to a doctor for a prescription. They didn't really need to do anything, I had the doctors in Germany on stand-by to fax their prescription as proof, but the govt bureaucrats on reception had no intention of allowing my wife anywhere near a doctor for the two minutes this would have taken. (They asked me to go to my sister's doctor instead, which is the British way of saying we are not going to help you without putting it in so many words.) The chemists were frightened to issue the prescription. I can understand this up to a point, but such a complete absence of trust took me by surprise.

Fortunately, a chemist up north had a bit more common sense and did do the necessaries, but we were considering Ryanairing it back to Germany do deal with it as this would have been quicker.

Phaeton

Guru
One of the issues is that when my 93 year old father rang the surgery number he heard (well we think this is what happened) the message blah blah blah blah put the phone down & dial 999, which he did, so an paramedic came out to him although it wasn't life threatening

I've said it before but the NHS could save a fortune by cutting a Doctor's seven year training to the two week course receptionists get.

The receptionist at my wife's surgery over ruled her Doctor's instructions regarding repeat prescriptions. Mind you, the practice nurse over ruled a consultant and unilaterally changed her medication causing two months of pain and discomfort.

Lots of Indians playing at Chiefs methinks.

Phaeton

Guru
The receptionist at my wife's surgery over ruled her Doctor's instructions regarding repeat prescriptions.
Have also had something similar 50+ male I presented myself to the surgery with chest pains, was seen by a doctor who was fairly confident it wasn't a heart attack but wanted an ECG(?) before I went home, went out to reception to wait & then was told to go home & come back following day at 3pm, I questioned it because of what the doctor told me & was told he had okay'd it. Got call call from the doctor 1.5 hours later asking why I had left the surgery with having the ECG & could I came straight back in.

OP
marinyork

marinyork

However, maybe a lot of people don't want to lose their spare time. Maybe a lot of people don't know about the new system.

How long was the pilot scheme running, BTW?
Don't know I am pretty sure it ran for different lengths of time in different locations. Certainly some of the original CCGs I think it's gone back four or so years. It has to be said that Pulse is a doctors magazine and so not completely impartial.

I suspect a lot of people don't know about the new system and that could be one issue.

The not wanting to lose their spare time is interesting as in pharmacy and pharmacies attached to surgeries, it is deathly silent on a Sunday. However a Friday night and Saturday till about 4pm is hell on earth in a pharmacy.

OP
marinyork

marinyork

The receptionist at my wife's surgery over ruled her Doctor's instructions regarding repeat prescriptions. Mind you, the practice nurse over ruled a consultant and unilaterally changed her medication causing two months of pain and discomfort.
In addition, unfortunately locum doctors, nurses and receptionists not understanding the software is another very, very frequent causer of aggravation that I hear about on a daily basis and one of the reasons that I'm looking for a new job.

Top Bottom