One in four evening and weekend GP appointments in CCG trials unused

tom73

Veteran
Maybe the many that are quite happy to waste GP's time are thinking twice about making an appointment when it mean's taking it in leisure time.
longer opening time's at the doctor's if only it was that simple. Most back office stuff is not out of hour's so unless the collection for sample's is working they have no way of sending stuff to the lab so need the storage for it some test's can't the held over. Even it get's to the lab they don't do routine stuff out of hours. Even if get's tested all the extra result's need to be check and acted on. Even in normal hour's Mrs 73 routinely had 600-700 result's to look over. So the extra could easily tie up a practice nurse full time so one less to deal with the extra appointment's.

The GP's will need to pay extra for staff time and over all running cost's. Most people don't need to see a GP a Nurse practitioner can deal with most stuff. But they cost money and need support for the training some GP's are very open to the idea some not so. The government is now pushing for more physician assistant's which are cheep but pointless. More practicers need to flip over and be nurse lead with GP support. It's cheeper ,much more effective and more responsive to need's Sadly I only know of one. Another effective route is more community pharmacist's need to become none medical prescribers but again that cost's

As with most health care many don't value it and it's become too simple and open to misuse when a simple bit of common sense or asking at the chemist will sort it. Extra capacity is not the solution or a quick fix it's only one small bit of it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I should add that my doctor told me to come and see him in a couple of months, this was in June. I shall try again tomorrow. If I run a business like this I would not have many customers, hold on, maybe that their plan, after all they get paid if they see me or not.

OP
marinyork

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Another effective route is more community pharmacist's need to become none medical prescribers but again that cost's

As with most health care many don't value it and it's become too simple and open to misuse when a simple bit of common sense or asking at the chemist will sort it. Extra capacity is not the solution or a quick fix it's only one small bit of it.
There's a lot of hoop jumping for a pharmacist to become an independent prescriber. It's also a chokehold the GPs had (now being changed) - can't get on the course unless a GP says so, has to be justified by so called need (some locations have more GPs than others, some have more pharmacists than others etc). There are various other practical reasons related to lifestyle and running a business too. It's a shame, in a sense it's wasted capacity on a grand scale.

It needs sorting so it's integrated into the degree and pre-reg and every pharmacist is a prescriber, or at least made a lot easier. Same with so many other things like summary care records.

Chemists already get asked on a grand scale to sort out every problem in modern life and for free, that's why so many chemists are going to close and the robots are a coming! Pharmacies and A&E already have to deal with a lot when the doors slam shut at 6pm.

tom73

Veteran
There's a lot of hoop jumping for a pharmacist to become an independent prescriber. It's also a chokehold the GPs had (now being changed) - can't get on the course unless a GP says so, has to be justified by so called need (some locations have more GPs than others, some have more pharmacists than others etc). There are various other practical reasons related to lifestyle and running a business too. It's a shame, in a sense it's wasted capacity on a grand scale.

It needs sorting so it's integrated into the degree and pre-reg and every pharmacist is a prescriber, or at least made a lot easier. Same with so many other things like summary care records.

Chemists already get asked on a grand scale to sort out every problem in modern life and for free, that's why so many chemists are going to close and the robots are a coming! Pharmacies and A&E already have to deal with a lot when the doors slam shut at 6pm.
You are right Pharmacies is a complex thing (i know I was on the regional board of cooperative group when we still owned them) and lot of stuff going off payments have are being cut. Finding a doctor to supervise any HCP doing the training is hard no matter what area you work in. Unless you find a forward thinking trust ect. Not sure bout making them all do it some may not want to but see the point. Sadly like so much of the training world inc HCP the move is toward's a race bottom. Automation has it's place too such as dispensing robot's and to sum degree AI in improving screening.

A&E well that's a whole other set of issues. Our's now has out of hour's GP service on the same site so you get diverted to them if needed. Sadly too much is just not joined up. In the ideal world you'd start over with a new system running along side current one and then move it all over. But NHS is running too fast to do it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My better half forgot her medication for a holiday in England, and I well remember the hassle of even trying to get to a doctor for a prescription.
I would have called 111. Most of that service is following scripts but I'm pretty sure they'd tell you the correct current procedure. Unless it's changed, I think it's still to go directly to an emergency pharmacy (often a major chain or a hospital) who can issue without a NHS prescription in some situations, which I suspect they would do based on an EHIC and a legit prescription from your home doctor.

OP
marinyork

marinyork

Fax is an interesting one as faxed prescriptions have finally been banned under GDPR.

Emergency supply at the request of the prescriber over the phone still very much legal but from another country is interesting with different first languages! Also can it arrive in the post in 72 hours!

I am glad unkraut got it sorted. With non-UK prescriptions I have had problems with have normally fallen into three categories 1) not EEA 2) no market authorisation 3) patient doesn't want to pay!!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
My Doctors are making appointments very hard to get for some of us who go out to work. Phone at 8am for that day, or Tuesday at 2pm, you are unlikely to get through at either time and the very few slots are likely to be filled when you do. Online, well I am yet to see an appointment up there.
My surgery has had that system for a while and while I'm not a regular user of the service, I've never had a request to see someone refused once I've had a call back from the doctor. Always ring at bang on 8am though. 5 or 10 minutes later it might be a different story.

tom73

Veteran
@User76 make's a good point nothing wrong with triage when done right and by a qualified HCP. When it's done on the cheep and not buy the right people that's when you hit issues. 111 found this out the hard way when they moved away from NHS direct. Few week's training and a computer for back up don't make up for it.

triage at the door of A and E would go a long way too. Often it happen's once you've got in the system and it's often too late.

OP
marinyork

marinyork

triage at the door of A and E would go a long way too. Often it happen's once you've got in the system and it's often too late.
It depends on your opinion. Critics could for example say that you live in a CCG with one of the worst records for appointments after 6pm and at weekends and that the two aren't completely unlinked. Others would say that plans to get rid of the drop-in centre in town and minor injuries located at another location and move it all to the far north of the city is a seriously dumbass idea. Other CCGs would you say lucky bleeders, how did you manage to hang onto yours for so long?

OP
marinyork

marinyork

Not sure bout making them all do it some may not want to but see the point. Sadly like so much of the training world inc HCP the move is toward's a race bottom. Automation has it's place too such as dispensing robot's and to sum degree AI in improving screening.
Of course pharmacists don't all want to do it. The current setup to be a IP doesn't fit in with lifestyle, business or work patterns so isn't as crazy an idea as it sounds. But what happens is the NHS has a great idea, the big companies say this is great. Then this great idea depends on a pharmacist or someone else having had some training to allow them to do it. Then very few pharmacists have the training and it falls flat on its face, usually with some bureaucracy, some risk and paperwork averse behaviours from pharmacists and haggling about pennies for payments/free. It's the same whether it be NUMSAS, flu vaccinations, SCR, various PGDs and on and on. I find it hard to see community pharmacists surviving long term without a lot more of them prescribing.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Into my 64th
Mod note:

A number of bickering posts have been removed. They added nothing to the thread. Please stay on topic.

NB: some posts have been removed that were not problematic in themselves but they did quote problematic posts. Sorry about the tortuous grammar!

screenman

Legendary Member
I agree with a lot that is being said about time wasters, however I am trying to book an appointment with a Doctor who asked me to go back and see him. I have a herniated disc that prevents me from walking without pain, I can only climb stairs on all fours, kneeling which I have to do for some of my income is nearly impossible. Am I a time waster, I have visited the doctor about 8 times in the last 20 years, each time for a genuine reason, hernia, depression, arthritis.

Top Bottom