One legged cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Mrs 2wd commented that my right calf was noticeably bigger than my left

Whilst out tonight I was concentrating on my general pedalling technique and noticed I push a lot more with my right than my left.

In fact, I dont think I even push at all with my left :blink:

Think I'm going to have to do some one legged pedalling on the Turbo Trainer to get both legs working the same ^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
But just think ... if you can get the left leg to pedal too, how much better/faster will you be?

Reactions: 2wd
I think most folk unless they are ambidextrous are like that, I'm certainly am. Hopefully you don't suffer like I did, where the left leg trying to compensate became taught and pulled my patella out of alignment (Tight IT band):B) now I'm aware of it, its quite easily avoided with stretching and I also occasionally try to focus more on using my left leg.

Gbola

I think most folk unless they are ambidextrous are like that, I'm certainly am. Hopefully you don't suffer like I did, where the left leg trying to compensate became taught and pulled my patella out of alignment (Tight IT band):B) now I'm aware of it, its quite easily avoided with stretching and I also occasionally try to focus more on using my left leg.
seconded

Nantmor

I've had a hip problem for many years, so my pedalling is lopsided too. Very different thigh muscles left and right. Different leg action too. I would imagine it would be very well worth bringing both legs into action, if possible. If you get around fine without, you have my respect. I would guess I pedal with one and a third to one and two third legs.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I knew a woman who had lost all the calf muscles in one of her legs due to a hospital infection. She cycled fine with just one active leg and an SPD pedal. She could stop on her immobile leg.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I found I always tended to cycle in 2/4 time, i.e. with a slight stress (added push) on the left foot downstroke. Recently I've been getting into a 3/4 waltz (or a 6/8 gavotte) rhythm - this means that the extra force of the next down beat falls to alternate feet. It also seems to encourage the ''off beat'' foot lifting the pedal more on the upstrokes. It keeps things balanced as far as muscles are concerned and it keeps the pedalling rhythmic. I'll never be a fast rider but it's made me quicker and helped me rest on the bike at the same time. Try counting ONE-two-three, TWO-two-three, THREE-two-three - (it works out as L-r-l, R-l-r, L-r-l where the capital means more force). It could feel as though you're spending 2/3rds of your time coasting but it's certainly not made me slower and it might help you too.

(I should mention that I grew up playing double bass in orchestras, which entailed facing long tacet periods, and counting the bars' rest [122-2-3, 123-2-3, 124-2-3 etfc) has made rhythmic counting almost natural.)

Blue

Legendary Member
Riding 'fixed' is supposed to help in the development of a smooth, two legged, pedal action.

Blue

Legendary Member
Mrs 2wd commented that my right calf was noticeably bigger than my left

Whilst out tonight I was concentrating on my general pedalling technique and noticed I push a lot more with my right than my left.

In fact, I dont think I even push at all with my left :blink:

Think I'm going to have to do some one legged pedalling on the Turbo Trainer to get both legs working the same ^_^

I have found that just concentrating on my pedalling action on the turbo helped me to the development of a better action, without resorting to one legged pedalling.

Top Bottom