One persons word against another.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm after some advice please as this hasn't happened before.

I've just driven my dads car back here and he's driven it back home again. Next door knocked on and said we'd reversed into their car and cracked the number plate.
He didn't see it but someone saw it happen and has given him the reg plate and vehicle description.

Neither of us hit his car but a witness said we did. I've said I'm perfectly happy for the police to be called or informed as we didn't do nuffink.

I know it's only a number plate, but he doesn't want to pay for a new one and we don't either. What's likely to happen from here? :smile: Thanks.

i reckon the witness did it and is trying to shift blame. if it damged their plate, there should be damage on your dad's car and if there's nothing...

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Tow ball on his car. No damage, not that it's worth looking as no contact was made.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Look at the geometry of the car and take photographs. Work out whether it would physically be possible to take the number plate off and do no other damage to your dad's car or other parts of their car. On some cars this would be quite unlikely unless you had a tow ball. Depends on the car. Even with a tow ball it might not line up right.

I had a similar situation where I thought they'd duff up the car so I went and took some photos of both cars and I'm led to believe the case was dropped and the other party may have had a chat about fraudulently claiming.

A number plate will be below their excess, I'd say they are bluffing.

I your absolutely sure there was no coming together of vehicles, then I would stand my ground. Let them call the police. I suspect the law may not be interested. I certainly would not pay for something I had not done.

As its a neighbour however, a more cautious approach may be adviseable if you dont want to fall out. I dont know how well you know them or whether you get on at all. If your on friendly terms, I would give them a knock and put your case. If your not friendly then I would definately pick the first option.

Had a similiar thing many years ago. Mrs Crackle was alleged to have hit a wing mirror. She said she didn't the owner said she did, no other witness. The police did actually investigate and examine our car but nowt was proven. I think she thought Mrs Crackle hit her car but was mistaken. If there is a witness you may find it difficult to deny. It is only a number plate. What about splitting the difference?

How is it dmaged by the way, straight crack or the classic round towbar crack. Easy to misjudge a towbar, I've done it.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
If there is a witness you may find it difficult to deny.

This is what worries me, someone saw something that I'm sure didn't happen.

I've bumped a couple of stationary vehicles things at slow and very slow speeds and have always known about it, you always would wouldn't you? no matter how slight?
I am doubting myself now but sure of no contact.

I want to stay on good terms with them so will have to see what happens next.

marinyork

Was it in perfect daylight or the dark? If it is the dark the other person could be even more likely to be imagining it.

longers said:
This is what worries me, someone saw something that I'm sure didn't happen.

I've bumped a couple of stationary vehicles things at slow and very slow speeds and have always known about it, you always would wouldn't you? no matter how slight?
I am doubting myself now but sure of no contact.

I want to stay on good terms with them so will have to see what happens next.

Not always!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Late afternoon, overcast but daylight.

If it comes to it, checking the geometries of the cars is a good idea. His isn't local so not handy but he knows how to use a tape measure.

The one I did, there was no bump. I just pressed the towbar against the plate as I was manoeuvring into a parking place. I didn't notice until I'd been out in the car again and parked it somewhere else, then I saw the number plate of the car I had been parked in front of. It was plain my towbar had done it. I went into the house to write a note, came out and it had gone.

Do what Marin suggested, check the heights. The other thing you have to ask yourself is what would any witness gain by saying they saw something they didn't.

marinyork

I've seen people with tow balls twang the plates when reversing very slowly. The ones I've seen just make it flex a bit.

It's not good the silly stress :laugh:. If you don't think you did it you don't think you did it whether you're wrong about that or not. Unless there's a tow bar shaped dent at the right height I would be sceptical. Unfortunately some number plates do break all on their own but it's not something people really check.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK.... couple of observations....

My dad, if he bumped something, would know - he's a good driver. Me.... I would too.

My father in law...... nope - he's bumped cars at low speed, and his own - poor eye sight....

He even put a big dent in my wife's car (before we were married) and didn't know - not until I spotted a big dent and the blue/white paint matches on both cars.........

If your old fella is a good driver then stick to the line. TBH I'm the sort that would say if it was my fault - I do suspect in this case the 'other party.......

It's a cracked number plate.......FFS this crap goes on all over.... what's to say it didn't happen at the supermarket earlier......

He can't prove it, you don't have marks on the car and are sure it wasn't you..... explain the situation, and mention the other party.......

Accident's happen..............

Top Bottom