One Planet Summit

Oldhippy

Über Member
I'm wondering if we will see anything of substance with the One Planet Summit about to start? The Terra Carta idea from Prince Charles is all well and good but slightly hypocritical when you think how many resources his family use.

matticus

Veteran
all well and good but slightly hypocritical
'ere we go ...

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
At least its a virtual affair, unlike previous such shindigs where folk would fly halfway around the planet to lecture us about ravaging of resources and pollution.

I wonder if Emma Thomspon will jet in to give us her two penneth?

matticus

Veteran
At least its a virtual affair, unlike previous such shindigs where folk would fly halfway around the planet to lecture us about ravaging of resources and pollution.
When Greta sails to such a shindig, would you give her the casting vote and/or other privileges where this is the case?

OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Über Member
I do of course but I limit as much as possible. Rarely buy clothes but use army surplus and charity shops when I have to, choose not to have a car and hire if really need and don't fly out of choice and shop local with as little packing as possible.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
We all use the planets resources, Attenborough, Thunberg etc use it to spread a message. Charles' project aims to raise over £7bn to invest in the natural world, which i applaud if not just to replace natural habitats lost due to human "progress"...
Attenborough used it for most of his career to earn a salary, and has only more recently became a climate preacher. Nevertheless, despite his new found climate concern, he is still jetting about the place unnecessarily.

Thunberg spreads a message, but is nevertheless wasting the very resources she urges us to preserve. OK, she's nowhere near the same level of hypocricy as, say, Emma Thomspon, but she's not as green as she would like to think, and that detracts from her message.

People spread the message by doing, and setting an example. Then maybe their neighbours or family may start to do the same, and slowly it spreads. The self appointed climate preachers do nothing beyond gobbling resources to spread a message that goes largely ignored.

It doesn't work, so why continue to travel and burn fossil fuel flogging the dead horse ?

People will change of their own free will, and those that don't require to be compelled to do so by government policy. All the tv preaching or Extinction Rebellion demonstrations in the world changes no ones behaviour.

matticus

Veteran
I do of course but I limit as much as possible. Rarely buy clothes but use army surplus and charity shops when I have to, choose not to have a car and hire if really need and don't fly out of choice and shop local with as little packing as possible.
just running an internet connection (and posting on here) moves your resource consumption above the global average and certainly above what is necessary.

Not that I am in a position to preach, you understand! But accusations of hypocrisy can get you in hot water ...

OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Über Member
I agree, the alluded hypocrisy is the amount of resources they use and could openly try harder and set examples.

matticus

Veteran
It doesn't work, so why continue to travel and burn fossil fuel flogging the dead horse ?
These "summits" vary quite a lot, but in some cases they are necessary for nations to co-ordinate (i.e. agree on) joint action. You can't just blanket bomb them as useless.

People will change of their own free will, and those that don't require to be compelled to do so by government policy. All the tv preaching or Extinction Rebellion demonstrations in the world changes no ones behaviour.
Yes of course gov policy is a major tool (possibly the best); but i can't agree that protests achieve nothing. Look at the BLM stuff!
In many many areas social movements and protest bring about changes in gov policy. QED!

It can be hard to measure of course; so it's easy for you to say "no xyz protest ever achieved anything" without fear of being disproved by hard data. Doesn't make you right :smile:

OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Über Member
I believe it is how it is protested. You get a bunch of people that look like me, (I had someone trying to give me spare change last month while waited for a client in the shop) jumping up and down and gluing themselves to stuff you will just piss people off. As Drago said it is about setting example across society from the top down.

The level of bullying and humiliation if I sent my kids to school in Army Surplus is unthinkable
If I didn’t fly I wouldn’t have a job, so no money to pay mortgage
loads of kids activities and clubs in opposite sides of towns make a car a necessity if aI am to get from one t’other on time.
I shop with little waste packaging though.....it’s a start

matticus

Veteran
I believe it is how it is protested. You get a bunch of people that look like me, (I had someone trying to give me spare change last month while waited for a client in the shop) jumping up and down and gluing themselves to stuff you will just piss people off. As Drago said it is about setting example across society from the top down.
So you want Prince Charles to recycle more and drive/fly a bit less. Great- I'll back that. But it will get f' all publicity => achieve very little.

I think you need a range of techniques deployed. It's a cliche, but Good Cop Bad Cop does have it's applications (with a bit of tweaking).
- Get in people's faces; block their streets, set fire to their petrol stations. Wee on some Tories.
- Then get innocent young pixie Greta to sail across the Atlantic (at great peril! What bravery!)
- Then get Mr Chris Super-reasonable-and-pragmatic Boardman to sneak up on people with a low-key campaign of small changes.

Here's my sweeping generalisation, where I shall pigeon-hole a load of varied people:
the people that complain about "hypocrisy" most, are the ones who know damn well about Climate Change, and know damn well that driving their gas-guzzler less would be easy and help a lot. But they want a good excuse!

Top Bottom