One woman and her dog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David_widnes

Veteran
Funny how its always the cyclists fault is it?

well let me describe my encounter earlier today!!

Ive been out on a nice ride from my Home in Widnes to Liverpool pier head and Albert Dock area had a lovely ride on my own just steady riding taking in all the sights and sounds. Decided to take the Trans Pennine Route back to Widnes all good so far anyway....

On the leg of the trail called Pickerings Pasture which has a nice stretch of wide tarmac footpath and runs along side the River Mersey approaching Widnes i became aware of a Woman and a loose dog which was running back and forth across the path off the lead. I don't have a problem at all with walkers and dogs in general and i always give them a polite ring on my bell when approaching from behind them but this dog had me worried i was sure it was going to cross the path in front of me and either it was going to get hurt or me probably both. So im watching this dog running all over the path both hands on the brake levers and i slowed right down as a approached but im concentrating on this dog so much i forgot to ring my bell so when i pass the woman i began to take a barrage of abuse but i ignore it and carry on but one comment made me stop and retort back she shouts YOU XXXXXXX XXXX CANT YOU USE YOUR BELL with this i stopped and replied when you start using your lead ill start using my bell gave her a smile and set off again.

exbfb

Shared paths, don't you just love them.
At least on those, a bike is the fast moving object unlike the road.

Zee

Veteran

I think you took that pretty well :smile: Though be careful what you wish for! I had someone do their best to garrote me with a dog lead stretched between a traffic island and the pavement a couple of weeks ago
cursing.gif

Worst comes to worst try hit the thing with the wheel front on. It won't be pretty if they're caught in the spokes.

Some unfortunate soul and their bike doing their bit for natural selection:
http://farm1.static....8b5ac7ad8_o.jpg
http://farm1.static....5e81e4f93_o.jpg

bongofury66

As both a cyclist and a dog owner all it takes is for all parties to act reasonably and respect each other. I always try to get the dogs out of the path of cyclists and as a bike rider, slow down and expect the dog to do something irrational. , The prom at Blackpool is 'shared' and to be fair the majority of problems are caused by fully racing uniformed cyclists on all bikes who perhaps are mentally riding in the Tour De France .After all, if I want to belt along in full training fashion, I will go on the public road - ie mix it with traffic rather than dogs and kids. However, not everyone is reasonable. In this case, the dog owner was ridiculous.

Top Bottom