Online Credit Card Fraud...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just had my credit card used for something I didn't buy (the train line, twice).
This is on the card I've only had for three months - which replaced the card I'd only had since April (from new) and was used fraudulently in August (it was used for 'Apple Store').

Anyone got any ideas where they might be getting my details from??

To make matters more confusing I moved at the end of July so my address changed, just before the card was used the first time.

I do have the card on Paypal / ebay and Amazon, but was not aware of any hacks to these sites recently.
As far as I know I keep a reasonably clean PC spyware wise.
(I know the card is only as secure as the dodgiest website you've ever bought something off of though...)

Makes me think I should have one credit card solely for online purchases which I can then get re-issued every few months, and another for in-store purchases.

Kudos to the Co-Op though who stopped the transactions before they went through (I found out because the card wouldn't work when I tried to buy something else online).

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I would certainly check your PC very carefully for keyloggers.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its so hard (nay impossible) to find out...but i suspect its the human factor not hackers thats usually responsible. In other words, your details are visual to people when you make a transaction online. I'll explain....
Just booked a couple of days in a hotel in durham. Prepaid ( i thought) by credit card. When we checked out, they gave us the bill...but we've already paid by credit card. No sir, the reservations made but no moneys taken from your account until you leave. She said...we get all your details on a printout, credit card number, even your 3 digit security number, then we tear it up. Then you pay on leaving.
So...if someones dishonest there....say no more.

Another case. We brought something online some years ago. By mistake, the details the wife gave were slightly wrong (personal details..initials or something). The goods duly arrived, job done.
Then 2 weeks later we saw two suspicios transactions on our bank account. On checking they were goods ordered, delivered to an unknown address...but the name (ours) had those incorrect initials...so we knew without doubt it was someone at the first online store that was responsible.
Worse was to come...we immediately reported it to the bank and explained what had happened and that we knew exactly which company had the employee responsible. They took that information....and then as far as they were concerned, it was NONE of our business any more...data protection wouldnt you know.:wacko:

The whole system works on trust...nothing more. its so easy for someone within a company you've used to get your details. Pitifully easy.

decca234uk

One sunday afternoon last year I got a call from my credit card company asking me if I'd just purchased a computer with some high tech telecoms equipment attached for £1267.00 and if I'd just signed a years contract and paid for it for a saterlite telepne service costing another 300 quid. I was shocked and said no. The guy on the other end of the phone said he was from the company's fraud squad. he told me not to worry about it and that I would have the monet credited back on my card. He seemed to know it was nothing to do with me. I got the money credited to my card and everything was ok for three monhs when I started to get threatning letters from an American company that supplied the saterlite service. They said I'd taken out a contract and I was in arrears.
I explained to them what had happened but it didn't seem to matter, they persisted in phoning me until i blocked them. They then started sending me letters. i ignored them. I then got a big threatning letter from a bailiff telling me they were comming to collect the debt. i phoned them up and explained what had happened. That the debt wasn't mine, that they could not possibly have my signature on anything and that they would not under any circumstances be getting into my house. I never heard another thing about it. The guy from the credit card company spoke as though it was the most natural thing in the world to have your creit card hacked.

on the road

Über Member
You could always get a prepay credit card, then you can just put on the card what you're going to use, anyone who tries to hack it won't get much.

Globalti

Legendary Member
About three visits to Nigeria ago I was paying my hotel bill on the Friday afternoon, the clerk put the card through and within about two minutes my cellphone rang with a call from Barclaycard Fraud checking that it was me using the card. That was impressive.

The guy from the credit card company spoke as though it was the most natural thing in the world to have your creit card hacked.

Thats partly down to it being his job in the fraud department and so it's probably happening every 10 mins or so that there's a fraudulent charge happening somewhere, so it is fairly routine for him

also, to keep your faith in your credit card provider he needs to appear calm to instill calm so that you are relaxed about them handling it.

TVC

I had a similar experience to gbb, someone tried to use my details for a transaction in France. This made it pretty obvious what happened. I had booked a hotel in Paris through Hotels.com. It seems that whilst my link to the website was secure, they just e-mailed my complete card details straight to the hotel where it was freely available for anyone to print out.

Barclaycard were very sharp, they actually refused the purchase so no money was lost, and contacted me immediately. I had a new card within 4 days, this just seemed so routine to Barclaycard.

taxing

A few years ago I got an email from eBay saying that someone had tried to open a new account and verify it with my credit card. When I rang my bank it turned out that someone in America had bought some computer software and postal services with my card too. HSBC just refunded the money and gave me a new card, I never heard anything more about it. I'd recently bought some T-shirts from an American site that I had never used before so I contacted them politely just to let them know, in case they thought that they could review their security policies. They were adamant it was nothing to do with them, but sent me two free T-shirts anyway. So not suspicious at all then.

gbb

Legendary Member
About three visits to Nigeria ago I was paying my hotel bill on the Friday afternoon, the clerk put the card through and within about two minutes my cellphone rang with a call from Barclaycard Fraud checking that it was me using the card. That was impressive.

And at the other side of the scale, i used my credit card on a visit to Uruguay. At the time i'd never used it abroad before. Did it flag up ?.....no.
I'd like to have thought it would have :whistle:

Top Bottom