Online Storeage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm going to get rid of my desktop and get a laptop, reasons, space needed and the desktop is a ten year old Delll, although since I've taken off a few unused programs it seem's to have sped up. Anyway, where can I save my pics and saved documents to, so I can either access or transfer to my new laptop? Any recommendations greatly received, thanks..............

Please excuse the bad spelling in the title as in should be storage......:blush:

Manonabike

Über Member
A good thing to have is an external drive. They connect to your computer through a USB port and you could back up all your data. If your PC is 10 years old my guess is that your harddrive is not very big, perhaps 200 GB. Hence, I recommend a 500MB to a 1TB external drive..... that should last you for a while.

qwiksilver

who needs a helmet
A good thing to have is an external drive. They connect to your computer through a USB port and you could back up all your data. If your PC is 10 years old my guess is that your harddrive is not very big, perhaps 200 GB. Hence, I recommend a 500MB to a 1TB external drive..... that should last you for a while.

+1 as manon said ext hdd is best

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ext hdd for the stuff you'll look at once in a blue moon, and for movies and things large and tedious to download

dropbox for everything else.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
All it will be for, is pics and mainly word documents, mainly my union stuff.
dropbox, then you can access it wherever you are on any internet connected PC anywhere, or on your smartphone. Your PC just thinks it is a folder, completely transparent. It's like a permanently connected USB stick/HDD in the sky.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
dropbox, then you can access it wherever you are on any internet connected PC anywhere, or on your smartphone. Your PC just thinks it is a folder, completely transparent. It's like a permanently connected USB stick/HDD in the sky.
Thanks Greg, i'll do that today, thanks all for the replies.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Only do it online if you've got quick upload on your broadband. It can take literally days to upload even a relatively modest amount of stuff. I'd go for an external HDD - it's probably safer, too, given the quick-moving world of IT.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Only do it online if you've got quick upload on your broadband. It can take literally days to upload even a relatively modest amount of stuff. I'd go for an external HDD - it's probably safer, too, given the quick-moving world of IT.
dropbox does all its syncing between the local folder and the cloud in the background. you don't really notice what's going on.

srw

dropbox does all its syncing between the local folder and the cloud in the background. you don't really notice what's going on.
That's what virgin media told us about its syncing software....

After a few days of normal use it had uploaded about 6 photographs. After 5 days of non-stop running we were about 4% through our photo collection.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That's what virgin media told us about its syncing software....

After a few days of normal use it had uploaded about 6 photographs. After 5 days of non-stop running we were about 4% through our photo collection.
well if you will live in rural splendour....

srw

well if you will live in rural splendour....
Your 'sham has a population of 55,000. My 'sham has a population of 20,000 - more if you include the contiguous towns and villages. We're connected by fibre-optic cable.

(Though we're not willing to pay for any more than the basic service)

Paul J

If you are storing information about others (mentioned union stuff) can you guarantee it's safe using Dropbox and not available to a 3rd party? If not you would be in breach of the Data Protection Act. You would be better of with a USB drive. They are no bigger than a smartphone and can be password protected securing sensitive information.

Top Bottom