Oohhh get you!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Some may remember my thread in regard to degrees last week.

Well, I interviewed the young man yesterday (with the 2:2 but didn't seem to have been able to hold a job down for more than 3 months at a time).

He's been out of work since July (tut tut, little white lie there on the CV) so on the rock and roll. Won't hold that against him as it's tough out there.

He's got zilch, zero, nada experience in a role or even a similar role to that advertised. Won't hold that against him as training available.

But ..... he announced what salary he is looking for (fair dos) but then went out to say he expects to get paid more than my other peeps because of the degree. :laugh:

I couldn't fluffing believe it!!!

Are these people living in cuckoo land?

Aside from this, he seemed ok (and his face was a picture when I asked why he thought he was worth more than someone who'd been doing the job 10 + years). Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt. :evil:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
How easy would it be to get rid of him again if he turns out to be useless?

Gromit

Über Member
I would never have dreamed of lying on my CV to get a job and telling my prospective employer that I expect to be paid more than the person who had done the job for 10 years.

Many years ago, stright out of Uni, a mate and I went for the same job. It was a "we'll tell you later" kind of day with lots of people being seen. I found out later he went in all guns blazing, telling them how capable he was and how if appointed he going to show his established colleagues some new tricks. The interviewing panel told him thanks, but no thanks. I went in and when they asked me about working with people who'd been doing the job for a while, I admitted I was green as grass, just out of the egg, and looked forward to learning from my colleagues. One of the interview panel chased after me as I was leaving the building, caught me at the lift, and basically offered me a job there and then.

Ok, I subsequently turned the job down. And I was lucky in having worked hard and come out in the top few of my degree year and I also had a postgrad qualification on top which may have added to them wanting me. But it taught me the wisdom of not overselling myself or asking for too much in interviews.

BuzzyJace

Holy cow, that guy sounds like a right'un! I wouldn't even consider employing him, he's obviously been watching too much american tv! What was his degree in - self worth?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Sounds like too much of an ego to get on in an office with other people. There's too many people going around these days doing feck all and telling everyone else how great they are. I wouldn't employ someone that starts telling me, in an interview, what I should be doing. Don't forget, nearly everyone's got a degree these days - handed out like sweeties.

Strange but true.. Used to mentor the graduates in my company.. Within their first 10 minutes of meeting me would come the .. I'm only doing this to get experience.. and my degree is worth more than what I'm being paid. Some stayed.. some left, but you could tell the guys who would be in marketing/sales in a few years and the ones who were happy to do the technical stuff within about 15mins.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Tough call really, but he must've made a fair impression for you to consider him.

I hate interviewing, it's so difficult to get an idea of what someone's really like in such a short time period (maybe I'm no good at it either :evil:) so I always give a 3 month trial.
In fact, the last employee was on a 4 month trial.

ASC1951

Guru
snapper_37 said:
Are these people living in cuckoo land?

Aside from this, he seemed ok (and his face was a picture when I asked why he thought he was worth more than someone who'd been doing the job 10 + years). Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt. :evil:
It's part of the culture, I'm afraid. All the first-timers I interviewed had a boundless belief in themselves, put there by the Prizes For Everyone education they had received in the preceding years. People I interviewed for their second jobs were far more realistic.

I would give him a go. Self confidence isn't a bad starting point and if he is still a knob after a few months of reality, you have a year to get rid of him. (Including his notice period, of course.)

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
ASC1951 said:
All the first-timers I interviewed had a boundless belief in themselves

He's not a first timer. In fact, he's about a 9th timer - the degree was gained 7 years ago. That's why I was surprised at the attitude tbh.

I've just got a gut feeling something isn't right.

gavintc

Guru
In his defence, society has been sold the idea that a degree will enhance your career by increased job opportunities and increased salary. The poor young man has swallowed the sales pitch, got the degree and is now looking for the 'return' on his investment. It must be a galling reality check to find that the kid who went straight from school into work will be a more attractive prospect.

Gromit

Über Member
snapper_37 said:
He's not a first timer. In fact, he's about a 9th timer - the degree was gained 7 years ago. That's why I was surprised at the attitude tbh.

I've just got a gut feeling something isn't right.

I would go with that gut feeling then snapper_37. You don't want to be wasting your time.

Top Bottom