Ooo new car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krushavik

Don't understand this, whats a streetcar. :wacko:

Don't understand this, whats a streetcar. :wacko:

You know that the good thing with a car is that it is always there and you just get in and drive it when you like.

Well this is nothing like that. A sort of pool car and you have to book it in advance and if there is one available you get to use it but have to get it back to a drop off point when you have pre arranged.

This is a proper streetcar (not to be mistaken for a tram): :smile:

2474582439_c722ae2662.jpg

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
You know that the good thing with a car is that it is always there and you just get in and drive it when you like.

Well this is nothing like that. A sort of pool car and you have to book it in advance and if there is one available you get to use it but have to get it back to a drop off point when you have pre arranged.

You've never tried it have you? :laugh:

I used to own a car. It sat outside the house all day being neither use nor ornament, and the odd time I did need it it would have a flat battery or have been broken into. The last year I owned it it cost me £50 a mile.

Streetcar is like owning a car that can magically become a van that I don't need to tax, mot or insure and when it goes wrong it's someone else's problem.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've extensively looked into it for my company, and it's great. Just can't get the boss to sign off on it.

Great for city centre folk who don't own a car. Works out pretty daarn cheap for short journeys and getting the vehicle back within 4 hours. Did loads of calculations working out what the optimum use was, and it's anything upto 40 miles and returned within 4 hours. Over that, then a hire car from the usual 'companies' was cheaper. But nothing touched within this time/mileage.

krushavik

Thank you. Never heard of it before.

thomas

the tank engine
Something similar being installed down the road from me. It's got monthly fees so no use to me. Otherwise I'd probably just rent it to go for a drive :tongue:

You've never tried it have you? :laugh:

I used to own a car. It sat outside the house all day being neither use nor ornament, and the odd time I did need it it would have a flat battery or have been broken into. The last year I owned it it cost me £50 a mile.

Streetcar is like owning a car that can magically become a van that I don't need to tax, mot or insure and when it goes wrong it's someone else's problem.

Out in the wilds here we have none of the problems of owning a car in a city (so sorry for being critical).

Why not just get a cab? If streetcars are popular then chances are some other person will be off in it when you want it. Cabs seem to be endlessly avaiable and quite cheap overall.

Streetcar seems good if you want to go a fairly long way, know exactly when you will come back, know when you want to go well in advance and are flexible to fit this in around the availability.

OP
OP
brokenbetty

brokenbetty

Über Member
Out in the wilds here we have none of the problems of owning a car in a city (so sorry for being critical).

That's ok. Out here in the City we have none of the logistical problems that make the sticks so car-dependent.

Why not just get a cab? If streetcars are popular then chances are some other person will be off in it when you want it. Cabs seem to be endlessly avaiable and quite cheap overall.

Cost, safety, not having to direct a cabby around, that sort of thing
Streetcar seems good if you want to go a fairly long way, know exactly when you will come back, know when you want to go well in advance and are flexible to fit this in around the availability.

Exactly. As a city dweller that pretty much describes the times I'm likely to use a car. Its really so Inconvenient driving in London that I'd only do it as a last resort.

Plus the longer I need a car the further I will know in advance so in practice I can usually book a car when I need one.

Top Bottom