oops, no lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Col5632

Guru
..cycling home tonight with my magicshine rep thing up front and without warning it goes totally dead :ohmy:

Prob has been around the 3hr of use mark since i last charged it but kinda hoped it would tell me when it was low :cry:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
rule of thumb would be charge up every night after use! Do you commute over the bridge? Just I head over about 6am? Nosey :smile:

HovR

Über Member
That's one of the problems with T6 lights. They don't go dim as the battery depletes, so unless the light has some way of telling you it's going flat, you have no idea. That's why it's always a wise idea to carry spares. I have 2 lights on the front and 2 for the rear.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
rule of thumb would be charge up every night after use! Do you commute over the bridge? Just I head over about 6am? Nosey :smile:

Yeah i got in the habit of doing that but just thought it prob wouldnt do the battery any good not letting it go dead, i dont commute over the bridge, my commute goes from Dunfermline about 8.15ish and takes me to Dalgety Bay for 9.

That's one of the problems with T6 lights. They don't go dim as the battery depletes, so unless the light has some way of telling you it's going flat, you have no idea. That's why it's always a wise idea to carry spares. I have 2 lights on the front and 2 for the rear.

It did go red a few weeks back but never came to anything so wasnt sure if that was its way of telling me :wacko:

Aiming to get some kinda spares in the coming weeks, new to communting in the dark and cold conditions so still building up all the kit i need :ohmy:

HovR

Über Member
Yeah i got in the habit of doing that but just thought it prob wouldnt do the battery any good not letting it go dead

The batteries powering your T6 light will almost certainly be Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. These batteries do not suffer from memory effect like old NiCad's do, so you do not need to worry about letting them discharge. In fact, completely discharging a Li-Ion battery can cause damage to the batteries - In extreme cases they may short out, even set on fire - Although this is generally well below the point that the batteries (should) automatically cut out.

IT_Dummy

ok I know you are gonna laugh about my filament bulbs fed by zinc chloride batteries:smile:
But
Zinc chloride go down gradually (normally I can get home on the commute when they start :thumbsup: )
NICAD and alkaline go down suddenly

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do the copies not have the coloured indicator ? The MS one is Green, blue, red and flashing red. Best not letting lipo's go dead - no memory effect, but you are relying upon the protection circuit to stop them over discharging.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
The batteries powering your T6 light will almost certainly be Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) batteries. These batteries do not suffer from memory effect like old NiCad's do, so you do not need to worry about letting them discharge. In fact, completely discharging a Li-Ion battery can cause damage to the batteries - In extreme cases they may short out, even set on fire - Although this is generally well below the point that the batteries (should) automatically cut out.

Ah see i didnt know that, suppose it means i can charge it everyday and not feel like im doing it no good :smile:

When the button on the back goes RED, thats a clue:whistle:

It didnt go red last night at all, about a week ago it did but never went off :ohmy:

fossyant

I charge mine every day - just needs an hour or so top up.

Word of caution with the cheap lights - the batteries will be worse than the MS ones. They are known to be a bit crap with the protection circuit, so deep discharging can cause them to explode upon charging. They are also not very well 'balanced' - so discharging too much can result in some cells not being as charged as the others, and can cause the pack to fail.

Hence, why lots of folk use smart chargers for AA/AAA batteries, you'll notice some batteries get discharged more than others - a smart charger sorts that. But with the lipo packs, you are reliant upon the circuit board protecting the cells.

fossyant

Funny I never have this problem with my Exposure and Dinotte lights. Not only do they have charge indications, but also an emergency mode.

Most of us don't have a problem with any lights - someone forgot to charge them - the indicator told the OP a week before they stopped ! :wacko:

Top Bottom