Opinions on 3 flat bar bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There's no need to reinvent the wheel. The ultimate power train system for a commuter bike has been around for over a hundred years - it's a single front chainring protected by a chain guard, driving a single rear cog fitted to an internal hub gear. Non-derailleur chains take years and years to wear out and chain breakage is virtually unheard of if the thing is given some oil on a regular basis.
I think the crud/maintenance reduction quotient is a strong incentive for many tbh.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want a flat-bar hub gear bike, why don't you just buy an old secondhand 3-speed? They are tough as old boots, there's bugger all on them to go wrong and they generally don't go for silly money.

Goggs

Guru
MY 58cm 2016 Hyde Pro is on the large side for me at 6'2" but I can't speak for more recent model years. I don't know if manufacturers monitor the kind of genuine feedback you get on forums such as this. That's another discussion. My Hyde Pro has been excellent. Virtually maintenance free in the 18 months I've had it. Oiling and... nothing. The ability to shift gear at a standstill is not to be underestimated either.

Crankarm

Guru
I can't recommend enough an IHG for regular riding such as commuting. Whilst many won't want to fork out for a Rohloff it has been the best single bike component I have ever bought. Maintenance is truly minimal. I have a Hebie Chainglider cover to keep the chain clean which I have a love hate relationship with. At the moment it is love, but come summer it invariably comes off as it is dry and warm, although some times it stays on if the summer is particularly crap. The chain also lasts much longer with an IHG gear bike. The ability to change gear when stationary is a huge bonus and on the move gear changes are slick and effortless. With the handlebar gear twister you have total control of your bike - brakes, gears and steering without moving a hand as they are all together like it should be. Of other IHG I would probably go for the Alfine 8 spd if I wanted another cheap bike as like Pale Rider says it is supposed to be stronger than it's 11 spd brother. But then again if I wanted another IHG bike I might well buy another Rohloff hub or maybe a bike with the Pinion 18spd gear box just to try something different. But any bike frame would have to have numerous bosses/mounting points for racks front and rear, several bottle cage mounts, mudguards, etc. The Brompton is also an excellent IHG candidate although for higher daily commuting distances I would suggest a non folding full frame bike. Sorry I can't advise on any specific bike for the OP.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have a Hebie Chainglider cover to keep the chain clean which I have a love hate relationship with.

Why the hate part? I've had one of these on my wishlist for a long time (for my fixed) but have never got round to actually buying one. Would be interested to know more detail about the pros and cons.

Crankarm

Guru
Why the hate part? I've had one of these on my wishlist for a long time (for my fixed) but have never got round to actually buying one. Would be interested to know more detail about the pros and cons.

They only cost about £35 from SJS. Love because they keep the chain very clean, hate because they can be a real PITA to fit so they don't bind the chain and cause it to rub and thus create a lot more friction as you pedal. On balance they are great for winter riding and most of summer, but when it is dry and warm it is best removed as riding with it when it is binding is like riding with the brakes on. It needs a taut chain i.e. a slack chain is no good as it will just rub and bind.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

About 3,000 miles on my Rohloff/Chainglider Riese and Muller ebike.

No problems so far.

Last time I removed the rear wheel I'm fairly sure there was a bit more slack in the chain, so there has been some wear.

I've lubed the chain once, but it didn't really need it as it was already covered in wet black gunk.

Were the chain open, I would give it a wipe, but I'm inclined to leave it.

Removing the wheel involves partial dismantling of the Chainglider, and it was a bit of a fiddle to put back together again last time.

I can't decide if it's a high quality lightweight component, or a few bits of cheap and cheerful plastic clipped together.

It has always looked to be on the verge of falling apart, but hasn't done so yet.

No drag or binding, so I reckon the benefits of clean running outweigh the minor negative of extra faff.

Top Bottom