Opinions on Planet X RT-58 @ £800 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
Hi. I currently ride a CAADX for both general purpose commuting and longer rides. It has SRAM RED shifters and front/rear mech, Apex chainset, Hope BB, Shimano CX70 brakes. I started biking to keep fit 4 years ago and the CX type works as a "goes anywhere" model. I've done a few 100 mile rides on it, including the Exmouth Exodus last year. I've built up some maintenance skills and done most jobs on it. It's set up nicely, fits me and runs well. It has guard and rack mounts and I occasionally use panniers when I commute, however I'm just as happy using a backpack and I don't mind getting wet on the way in as I shower and change there. My commute is a mix of road and TRansPennine TRail, but most of the section I use is well surfaced.

In June I've agreed to do the London to Paris with a group from work, over 3 days. I've been thinking maybe I should go for a proper road bike. I'm told that carbon is more comfortable than my current Alu frame/fork because it absorbs more road vibration ? I ALWAYS suffer wrist pain but after a bike fit and setup I don't get the numbness I once did. I also recently tried a friends road bike and was astonished at how much better the brakes are - his were Shimano 105 calipers.

I'm not exactly a racing snake at 15st 8 (ok maybe 9 or 10) and I have lower back problems so a more upright position is better, though I do like drop bars so I can change position.

PX have the RT-58 on offer, with full SRAM Rival kit, except the brakes are FSA Gossamer. £800 seems a really good price and the RT-58 geometry is very close to the numbers from the fit I had at my LBS last year (560 head tube with 180 Head tube were the main numbers I recall).

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram-rival-22-bianco-edition

Any comments or views ? I've searched the forums and the RT-58 seems well received.

Should I be concerned about riding carbon at my weight ? I also know I need to be very careful with torque when maintaining carbon frames.

outlash

also available in orange
IMO, if you're doing a big ride in a couple of months I'd stick with what you've got. Buying a new bike and getting it right might take you longer than you think. I'd also probably pump for a steel frame for comfort over carbon.

Tony.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If the CAADX has carbon forks, which I think it does, then there'll be very little - if any - difference in road vibration to the handlebars. The question is whether you can mimic the bike set up changes on a new all carbon frame.

I got a Pro Carbon frame with Rival from them but luckily I had the numbers from an earlier bike fit and I was able to compare the frame geometries to give me a good idea of how well a bike that arrives in the post would fit. Very happy with it.

And the current price does seem like a very good price indeed.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Should I be concerned about riding carbon at my weight ? I also know I need to be very careful with torque when maintaining carbon frames.

Your weight won't be an issue for carbon :smile:

I have had carbon, alu and steel bikes. Personally I'd take a carbon road bike every time for long distance stuff on tramac, like your Lon-Paris attempt. The PX bikes look like fantastic value but the Biano edition will be a nightmare to keep clean (thinking more about the rims than anything else).

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Your weight won't be an issue for carbon :smile:

I have had carbon, alu and steel bikes. Personally I'd take a carbon road bike every time for long distance stuff on tramac, like your Lon-Paris attempt. The PX bikes look like fantastic value but the Biano edition will be a nightmare to keep clean (thinking more about the rims than anything else).

"Attempt" ?? There's no question as to finishing, just a matter of how long ... :tongue:

RitchieJoe

Hi. I currently ride a CAADX for both general purpose commuting and longer rides. It has SRAM RED shifters and front/rear mech, Apex chainset, Hope BB, Shimano CX70 brakes. I started biking to keep fit 4 years ago and the CX type works as a "goes anywhere" model. I've done a few 100 mile rides on it, including the Exmouth Exodus last year. I've built up some maintenance skills and done most jobs on it. It's set up nicely, fits me and runs well. It has guard and rack mounts and I occasionally use panniers when I commute, however I'm just as happy using a backpack and I don't mind getting wet on the way in as I shower and change there. My commute is a mix of road and TRansPennine TRail, but most of the section I use is well surfaced.

In June I've agreed to do the London to Paris with a group from work, over 3 days. I've been thinking maybe I should go for a proper road bike. I'm told that carbon is more comfortable than my current Alu frame/fork because it absorbs more road vibration ? I ALWAYS suffer wrist pain but after a bike fit and setup I don't get the numbness I once did. I also recently tried a friends road bike and was astonished at how much better the brakes are - his were Shimano 105 calipers.

I'm not exactly a racing snake at 15st 8 (ok maybe 9 or 10) and I have lower back problems so a more upright position is better, though I do like drop bars so I can change position.

PX have the RT-58 on offer, with full SRAM Rival kit, except the brakes are FSA Gossamer. £800 seems a really good price and the RT-58 geometry is very close to the numbers from the fit I had at my LBS last year (560 head tube with 180 Head tube were the main numbers I recall).

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58RIV22BNC/planet-x-rt-58-carbon-sram-rival-22-bianco-edition

Any comments or views ? I've searched the forums and the RT-58 seems well received.

Sorry rhyth, I can't offer any advice but what I can say is I am from Barnsley and I am going to go to planet X on friday to pick one of these up (either the xsmall or small, I'm a dwarf) hopefully it will serve us both well. It will be my first bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally I find my steel genesis (725 Reynolds) more comfortable on rough surfaces than the carbon, but we're all different! It also takes a rack and full mudguards for practicality. Perhaps try thicker tape to help the vibrations. Lizard skins 3.2mm is v good, or Fizik Performance 3mm

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry rhyth, I can't offer any advice but what I can say is I am from Barnsley and I am going to go to planet X on friday to pick one of these up (either the xsmall or small, I'm a dwarf) hopefully it will serve us both well. It will be my first bike.
Can you ride a bike though, otherwise I would not go for a carbon roadbike to learn on!!

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
"Suggested Rider Weight Limit 100kg" from the planet X spec :okay:
I'm a little over the 100kg but have no issues with my RT-57 :blush:

Excellent - where did you find that ? I searched all over their site looking for exactly that.

Hangs head in shame at total lack of googling skills. I see it now.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I also spotted the RT 58 and I am hoping to get one later in the year. I think it is a fab bike for the money.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
For £800 I think I'm just gonna do it. The RT-58 frame is very very close to my measured fit. I've stopped chasing the "one bike does it all" dream. I have a Cube MTB for when I want to get properly off road, I'm happy with a backpack to carry my laptop to work. Figure I may as well switch to a proper road bike and have done with it.

Going to ring them up and ask them not to cut the stem though, leave it as tall as possible so I have plenty of adjustment.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Easy one you've got a feel of the brakes and shifting

However, do get someone in the shop to show you how double tap works, front and back...not that it's that difficult :smile: Don't want to snap your brake levers off trying to shift with them ;)

Top Bottom