Orbit Cycles? Still any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Used to work for Orbit years back and they made some decent bikes - decent enough that I could never afford one.

Half-looking now for something half-way between the "hilly commuter / tourer" models and looked up http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/

Bloody terrible website with little in the way of model range....far cry from how it was circa '97 when every wheel I built was a different size, pattern etc for different purposes.7

Is it just lack of attention to a web presence or do Orbit now pretty much produce one bike and one load-lugger?

Used to work for Orbit years back and they made some decent bikes - decent enough that I could never afford one.

Half-looking now for something half-way between the "hilly commuter / tourer" models and looked up http://www.orbit-cycles.co.uk/

Bloody terrible website with little in the way of model range....far cry from how it was circa '97 when every wheel I built was a different size, pattern etc for different purposes.7

Is it just lack of attention to a web presence or do Orbit now pretty much produce one bike and one load-lugger?

Seems to be unconnected with Simon Gershon these days, I talked to Gareth Rainford a while ago and Simon sold up and went back to University, in Lancaster I think, and is currently striding the length of the Rockies...
I was working in Freewheel in West Street till '97. we must know each other? I'm Mike, and you are?

Anyway, I agree with you about the appearance of the 'new' Orbit wbsite - I wouldn't part with my hard earned cash going by the state of that website (have a look at the address in Dinnington on GoogleEarth - it's just a residential street, no evidence of any likely unit to build a bike in so god knows what the true story is). I ended up buying a Kaffeback off Dave Loughran at Planet X and it's very good..

GuyBoden

Guru
have a look at the address in Dinnington on GoogleEarth - it's just a residential street, no evidence of any likely unit to build a bike in so god knows what the true story is.

Here is Orbit Cycles.

Orbit Cycles
70 Laughton Road
Dinnington
Sheffield
West Yorkshire
S25 2PS
70 Laughton Road Dinnington Sheffield West Yorkshire S25 2PS .png

If you head over to what was the CTC forum “BretonBikes” may be able to help as at one time his firms tourers were all made by Orbit.

Edit

Just seen the gap between posts:laugh:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I watched a frame-builder friend taking apart a damaged Orbit frame (sometime in the very early 90s). He was not remotely impressed with the build quality.

Top Bottom