Ortlieb back roller + vs back roller classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I've got a full set of the back and front roller classics on my bike and my other half wants some decent panniers for his so we can do more cycle camping next year. I was wondering if the advantages of the Back Roller Plus are worth the extra price -- I know they are lighter, but by how much? Is the fabric as tough? Is the mounting system much better than the one on the classics? Currently what's attracting me is the colour, as he won't have red, I won't have yellow in the house, black would get them mixed up with mine and the other colours in the classics are blech, but there's a lovely hazel option in the plus.

Thanks for any advice.

Sam

I've got Classic back Rollers and front Roller Plusses. There isn't much difference between the mounting fittings. The hooks on the top of the plusses fit into notches making it a bit easier to adjust the distance between the hooks (not that you need to be adjusting that very often). The plusses are more aesthetically pleasing in that they dont look as plasticy as the Classics and the colours are nicer (I have the blue ones). I've only had mine for one season so I don't know how they will wear. If I was to buy any other panniers I would look for something with outside pockets.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Classics are easier to clean, and easier to stick patches to in a waterproof manner, should you manage to make a hole in one.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Back Roller Classics are blooming brilliant. They may look a bit un-cool, but they are bomb-proof. What else could you want from a pannier? Oh yes....they keep the rain out....always....

andym

Über Member
...they are bomb-proof. What else could you want from a pannier? Oh yes....they keep the rain out....always....

But you could say exactly the same about the Plusses. The Plusses could equally be be patched on the (shiny) inside if you ever needed to patch them. I guess the Classic surface won't get dusty in the same was as the Pluses and would be easier to wipe clean. Weight difference is a bit marginal.

So it really comes down to the aesthetics: are you a shiny red pannier person or a stealthy matt black pannier person?

OP
OP
Ravenbait

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
I ended up ordering the Classics. The other half insisted he didn't care about colour and I decided that colour wasn't worth an extra 15 quid.

Thanks for the responses.

Sam

Top Bottom