[OT Know How] How Much Sand to Cover 12 sqm to depth of 20mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
As title really.

I have some stuff to do in the garden, part of which will require a layer of sand to cover a 12 metre square area to a depth of 2 centimetres.

However, sand is sold by weight, not area, and I'm having the very devil of a job figuring out how much I need to get from the builders merchant. Anyone done this, and have a handy ready reckoner or similar to share?

Will1985

Über Member
It depends on the grade of sand. The volume of that hole is 28.8L.

If the sand has a density of 1.8g/ml (a type of builders sand from a quick google), you will need approximately 52kg.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Thanks Will.

I'd buggered up the measurements (post now edited, Will's calculation is correct for the figures I provided at first). Looks to be half a ton or so for sharp sand, from what I can make out.

iLB

Hello there
my calculations tell me it could be anything up to 6 tonnes...

do you mean 12m x 12m x 0.02

or something like 3m x 4m x 0.02 ??

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
John the Monkey said:
As title really.

I have some stuff to do in the garden, part of which will require a layer of sand to cover a 12 metre square area to a depth of 2 centimetres.

However, sand is sold by weight, not area, and I'm having the very devil of a job figuring out how much I need to get from the builders merchant. Anyone done this, and have a handy ready reckoner or similar to share?
Sand pit for the kids, eh? Good luck. :biggrin::biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Good point, hadn't fully appreciated the lack of depth (no comments about me, thanks). :biggrin:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
JtM,

I've just dug a pond in the garden. About 20' by 7'. You give me half your Fantasy Giro points and it's yours free to take away. As much as you want. Free.

Top Bottom