OT: Motorbike insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

Hi, my big brother had his Triumph vandalised for the second time in as many months. The insurance company want to write it off and cancel his policy. He would rather buy it back from them and get it fixed. The problem is that because he has now been 'refused cover' no other insurance company wants to deal with him.

Does anyone here know a broker or insurance company who is good at offering more bespoke policies for high value motorbikes?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Has he fully been 'refused cover' or merely 'declined to quote' ? Not quite the same thing.

I insured my Triumph Tiger through A-Plan who do a very good business with MG F & TF owners. The Milton Keynes branch manager (Steve) is an MG owner and negotiated a scheme direct with an underwriter. Our scheme is only available through their MK office .

May be worth trying Steve on Monday to see if he can help.

A-Plan Bletchley, MK
Steve Marsh
01908 271771

OP
OP
barq

barq

Well he told me he was refused cover - however he was pretty upset and perhaps not being totally clear.

Thanks for that contact, I'll pass it on to him.

gkerr4

I think that John is right - refusing cover is a technical term for an underwriter refusing to provide cover for a person / scenario which is way way outside of the risk they are willing to take on - usually where they suspect (or there is a history of) fraud or other illegal activity.

Payout and canelling insurance may be a std practice for the company you are currently insured with - i.e. two claims in the year = cancellation.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I could be wrong here, but if a vehicle is written off I think it's normal to cancel the policy. Because the vehicle that the policy covers doesn't exist any more.

gkerr4

oh yes - the doctor is right - sorry, re-read the OP - if they are writing it off then it is usual to cancel the policy.

this is nowhere near the same as refusing insurance cover.

Top Bottom