OT: Skype and BT Home Hub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Daughter is travelling in the far east and has suggested that Skype might be economical for her fortnightly chats. Never used the system before, and only have a vague idea of the set up needed.

We have a BT Home Hub, with an 'internet phone' handset, Can this be used to connect to a Skype phone? The BT Home Hub phone, although it works as a nomal cordless landline, also has it's own independent web phone number. Can my daughter just Skype to that number and make free calls, and vice versa?

Help!!! Way out of my depth here. Any links to idiots guide to Sktpe and web phones. Ta muchly.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Moved it to Electric Cafe, as you're more likely to get a result. :ohmy:

MickL

Über Member
It can be used to call a skpe phone, but it will cost, best thing to do is download the skype program and used mic and speakers/headset. Calls between the two are free and there are no other cost involved. I used it all the time :hyper:

Carwash

Señor Member
Yes, listen to MickL. My Fiancée has been in China for the past year, and we talk over Skype (with video!) frequently. It's great.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also use Skype to talk to my family each week and as has been said by MickL and Carwash it's good and free. Just to be clear, both parties must have there access to a computer that has got the Skype program installed.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
'Borrowed' a headset from a chum, downloaded Skype, and tried a test call last night to my home number and all seems to work. I'll see what happens on Saturday!

Thanks all.

Top Bottom