Ouch that is a big splinter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I never realised how dangerous velodrome track surfaces are.

The Malaysian cyclist (Awang) has just been stretchered off from the Keirin with a 18" splinter straight through his left calf (in one side out the other)!
eek.gif

He still got up and finished the race as well!!!

(edit) Picture here (warning, pretty gruesome)

I don't know how the commentators and I :blush: missed it the first time it was so obvious when they were carrying him away :ohmy:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I saw him pointing at his leg on the way out but somehow missed the splinter as well. One of the commentators did pick up he had a leg injury although the other one was worrying about his collar bone.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think it had more to do with the Spanish rider wanting to ride on the same bit of track as the Malaysian at the same time. He seemed to slide down the bank into the side of Awang

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
He wont be bunny hopping for a while thats for sure .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A star British track cyclist had a terrible crash a few years back and ended up pinned to the track by a huge splinter in his back. I just can't remember who it was or when it happened. Does anybody know?

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It was Jason Queally. From the times online: -

But Queally is not afraid of the challenge. After taking up cycling in his mid-twenties, he focused on sprinting after an accident in 1996. Knocked off his bike at 35mph, a large chunk of the track became lodged in his back. The piece of wood was 18 inches long, two inches wide and half an inch thick.As Hoy, who was involved in the crash, recalled in his autobiography: “It was more like a fence post than a splinter and Jason’s scream of ‘I’ve got half the f***ing track in my back’ was not unreasonable in the circumstances.”

The crash was to have a profound effect on Queally. “I’ve got a scar a foot long that had 100 stitches in it, but I was scarred mentally as well as physically,” he said. “Thankfully, I’d been a swimmer and I had plenty of muscle in my upper body, so it didn’t pierce my heart or lungs. But after that I wanted to focus on events that did not involve bunching. So it was the kilo and team sprint, and now the team pursuit,”

festival

Über Member
A star British track cyclist had a terrible crash a few years back and ended up pinned to the track by a huge splinter in his back. I just can't remember who it was or when it happened. Does anybody know?

I was riding at the national track champs at the old outdoor track at Leicester many years a go, it had a bridge to get from outside to inside the track and the patch of track underneath always took longer to dry out, causing crashes. anyway one rider went down and He had a splinter twice the size of Awangs through his thigh. put me right off. Cant remember his name, I think he was mancester wheelers?

Top Bottom