Out of balance Hunt carbon wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
Yep, done that. Two clips sent one with tyres fitted, one with the tyres removed. That was two days ago and still waiting for a response.
you don't need to wait, you can send them back regardless with a letter enclosed explaining why.. you have consumer rights under Sale of goods act or whatever to be protected from being sold a defective product

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
you don't need to wait, you can send them back regardless with a letter enclosed explaining why.. you have consumer rights under Sale of goods act or whatever to be protected from being sold a defective product
I accept that, and you have 90 days in which to return them if you are not 100% happy with them.
Its a shame because they are a really lovely set of wheels, from someone who hates climbing they are godsend 😉

T4tomo

Guru
I accept that, and you have 90 days in which to return them if you are not 100% happy with them.
Its a shame because they are a really lovely set of wheels, from someone who hates climbing they are godsend 😉
hopefully the replacement will be just as lovely but not wobbly!

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Blimey they are a bit rubbish. Were these over £1k.
Indeed they were:cry:

As lve already mentioned, its a real shame because they really are a beautiful set of wheels, both in terms of looks and thier climbing prowess.

Yes they are expensive, but they do carry a life time warranty and crash replacement.

I really hope that Hunt respond and resolve the problem, l guess only time will tell?

si_c

Guru
I have exactly the same behaviour with my carbon wheels, although it's never bothered me at all when riding - in the clips above the wheel is effectively acting as a flywheel and the bike doesn't weigh enough to damp the vibrations alone, put a rider on and it's smooth.

I've ridden much faster than 30mph on mine with no complaints. It would surprise me if it was the wheel imbalance you were feeling.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have exactly the same behaviour with my carbon wheels, although it's never bothered me at all when riding - in the clips above the wheel is effectively acting as a flywheel and the bike doesn't weigh enough to damp the vibrations alone, put a rider on and it's smooth.

I've ridden much faster than 30mph on mine with no complaints. It would surprise me if it was the wheel imbalance you were feeling.
I'm wondering about this myself too.

I have spun wheels up on an upturned bike in the past and watched the bike dance around due to the imbalance in the wheel/tyre combo but never noticed anything even remotely similar when riding the same bike in the real world. And I am not one for holding back on the speeds, regularly exceed 40mph by a considerable amount.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
A response from Hunt:-
Both wheels have mixed spoke tensions, the rear especially the tensions are incredibly varied. Hunt are going to redo the spokes and get them all up to the correct tension then spoke freeze the nipples. Once that has been done they are confident the rear wheel will be balanced correctly. If it doesn't, then they will re rim the rear wheel.
They advised that the uneven spoke tension issue is something they have seen previously, but as a result they are confident that the proposed solution will resolve the problem based on previous experience.
They have quoted a 6 working day lead time in the workshop, so estimate on the next update is end of next week.

Top Bottom