Over 40s tax

lane

Über Member
Lot of tax increases to come to pay for covid all dressed up for something or other. So far we have on line sales to to save shops, more inheritance tax to be fairer and over 40 social care tax. Someone has got to pay for the 100s billions furlough etc. has cost. Better get used to it.

I like Skol

Hold my beer and watch this....
Can't say I understand why this is to be targeted at 40+? We all inevitably get old and are likely to need care at some point in life so why burden only a smaller portion of society with paying for this? Surely if all wage earners contribute then the amount contributed can be spread over a longer period of your working life?

lane

Über Member
I have doubts you can tax based on age, pretty sure there are laws about that. We already have a system, the more you are paid the more you are taxed.
Doubt you are correct there. below or over a certain age you no longer pay any NI.

dodgy

Legendary Member
Doubt you are correct there. below or over a certain age you no longer pay any NI.
I don't really know if I'm correct, just posting what I thought seemed reasonable. You don't pay NI once you're receiving state pension, which I guess is an age test 🤷‍♂️

OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Legendary Member
I assume the age thing is a calculation of where the Tories feel they can impose extra tax with minimum electoral damage.
Doubt that is true, it'd be a spectacular own goal

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Why not increase NI contributions to pay for healthcare (in fact I'd ringfence an NHS tax).
Why not tax Amazon properly and all on-line sales organisations that sell into the UK on the same basis as retail. In fact for the extra environmental issues of delivery vans and packaging I'd also add an additional 'Convenience' surcharge.
Tax the wealthier more -Fcuk-em if they don't like it and shove their Laffer curves up their @rses. Nobody needs mansions and luxury cars/yachts however hard they work - it needs better redistribution.
Prevent wealth being moved offshore for tax avoidance
Increase taxes on petrol/Diesel, Increase taxes on large unnecessary cars - Wankpanzers, Rolls/Bentleys, performance cars.
Increase taxes (as already discussed) on certain types of processed/less healthy foods.
Increase taxes on Alcohol in particular from supermarkets etc for a healthier nation.
Further increase tax on ciggies

matticus

Über Member
Can't say I understand why this is to be targeted at 40+? We all inevitably get old and are likely to need care at some point in life so why burden only a smaller portion of society with paying for this?
No-one aged 20 can guarantee getting old - but the older you are, the more likely it is!
Also, peeps are typically more settled financially in later life, so perhaps that's a good time to start paying more. every system is a compromise. It works for the japanese apparently, that's a society with a serious care problem due to demographics.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In principal I agree with it. I would however suggest that perhaps 40 is a little too soon and perhaps the richer of our baby boomer generation who 'have never had it so good' should be the obvious place to start. The reason I say that 40 is a little young at the moment is because people are having children later and your 40s are really where the little blighters start costing you. I read that the falling birth rate is going to be a massive problem in future years, so anything that discourages people to have children should be looked at very carefully. However, we should all be paying more tax, irrespective of age, collectively we have a hell of a bill coming our way.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why not increase NI contributions to pay for healthcare (in fact I'd ringfence an NHS tax).
Why not tax Amazon properly and all on-line sales organisations that sell into the UK on the same basis as retail. In fact for the extra environmental issues of delivery vans and packaging I'd also add an additional 'Convenience' surcharge.
Tax the wealthier more -Fcuk-em if they don't like it and shove their Laffer curves up their @rses. Nobody needs mansions and luxury cars/yachts however hard they work - it needs better redistribution.
Prevent wealth being moved offshore for tax avoidance
Increase taxes on petrol/Diesel, Increase taxes on large unnecessary cars - Wankpanzers, Rolls/Bentleys, performance cars.
Increase taxes (as already discussed) on certain types of processed/less healthy foods.
Increase taxes on Alcohol in particular from supermarkets etc for a healthier nation.
Further increase tax on ciggies
You were doing great until the last 2. :thumbsdown:

Adam4868

Guru
Suprised....no.Tax should be on pay not age.Tax the rich properly the over 40s have been paying for austerity and now this ? The wealthy should be paying for this pandemic.How does this work for someone just over 40 who's in a low paid job compared to someone say 35 in a well paid one ?

I like Skol

Hold my beer and watch this....
I assume the age thing is a calculation of where the Tories feel they can impose extra tax with minimum electoral damage.
I think it just highlights the utter fear that the Tories have of the power of the younger social media generations!
No-one aged 20 can guarantee getting old - but the older you are, the more likely it is!
Utter twaddle!

Top Bottom