England : London Overnight TPM, Mk II (16-17 Sept)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrij

Über Member
Following last year's success, I will be running my Thames Path Meander as an overnight ride again this year.
Last year's threads are here and at the other place.

The details:
* Depart 23:00 from Southwark Needle, south end of London Bridge.
* Standard Thames Path Meander route, with some diversions due to closed parks, finish near Tower of London; 50km, more or less.
* Along the way I will regale/bore (delete as appropriate) with historical trivia.
* We'll stop at Woolwich Te5co* for threeses; or BYO sustenance, both liquid and solid. *No longer 24/7, alternatives being explored.
* Breakfast will most likely be at Hamilton Hall, Liverpool Street Station.
* It's a silly ride, so feel free to get in the spirit. Bike decoration is encouraged; fortified beverages will not be frowned upon.
* If you employ flashing front/rear lights on the ride you will end up in the Thames - you're bike will be spared if I happen to like it.
* A good front light is vital. Many stretches are unlit and surfaces can be less than perfect.
* If you commit to doing the ride, please send me your mobile number via PM; I will reciprocate.
* IMPORTANT: The Woolwich ferry does not operate overnight so we will use the tunnel. There is no guarantee either/both lifts will be operational, necessitating the use of stairs (S: _?_; N: 126). Keep this in mind when choosing your steed.

Who's in?

RIDERS
Nigel182
andrewc
Alison
newfhouse
TimO
Tigerrr

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sounds like fun, again. And again, no can do (will be in Ghent that night). Ho hum.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Sorry about that, but that dates works best with my schedule. Too much later and it's more likely to be too cold for a stop/start ride which offers nearly no opportunity to work up a sweat.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Im guessing a hybrid or CX is more suited to a ride like this?

It's all down to the rider. I'm pretty sure I've seen nearly every type of 2-wheeler on this ride - including Bromptons, and a Kirk(!) - except a tandem (which would be impractical).

Take into consideration:
it's a stop-start sort of ride, especially the first quarter;
surfaces vary - smooth asphalt, paving slabs, gravel, pot-holed roads, cobbles;
there's a bit of a climb (YMMV) in Greenwich.

Personally, I've done this route on a road bike, hybrid, tourer, Moulton and Brompton.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
Just over two weeks to go!

I'll do a food-focused recce this weekend and let you know what should be available. And no, I will not be doing a taste-test of any available purveyors of toothy comestibles.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
I did a recce this morning, and it was grand. :smile: There are still a couple of works closures on the route, but I'm not holding my breath they're resolved in time for the ride. I did find some spectacular COR in Greenwich, but we'll give it a miss as it's probably a bit too much for a night ride. The tour of Canary Wharf is now much improved. I'm sure I must have caused some head-scratching amongst the people watching CCTV as I went exploring. :biggrin:

Unfortunately I have no news regarding threeses. I did what could be considered sensible and started the recce from the mid-point, as it's relatively close to home. The downside is that I didn't get to Woolwich until around 04:30, and the only thing open was an offie - serving people through a small window. There may be take-aways open late, but I wouldn't expect anything to be open after 4, maybe even 3. Next Saturday morning I'll head down to Woolwich around 2-ish to check things out and report my findings. There are always the options of the tea stall on Blackheath and/or BYO for a riverside picnic.

OP
OP
Andrij

Andrij

Über Member
This will definitely be a "pack a picnic" ride. The latest take away I found in Woolwich shuts at 01:00. The only way we could get there in time would be following the route but not stopping for any sights.
I've scouted out a few places for us to picnic, including if the weather turns a bit damp.

If you haven't confirmed your participation/sent me your mobile number, please do so before Friday. @Nigel182 @velovoice @RubaixCube

See you on Friday!

Top Bottom