overtaken by a fixed rider!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

was it anybody on here?
I doubt it, 'cos he was a bit of a cock, obviously a serious, strong cyclist, but a bit arrogant with it. Came riding up beside me, giving it all this "bloody 'ell making my legs ache watching you pedal!", "you wanna get on your big ring mate", and generally boasting "oh, this is only my training bike", "see i don't have to think about changing gear", before accelerating off...even though i was going quick-ish...
but his maintenance of a good speed seemed fairly good for a fixed, so ok, while not completely sold over to fixed (GAY), i am beginning to be bi-curious....
still can't see the point in normal singlespeeds at all though...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Did he turn off the main road a hundred yards further on, then jump into a hedge to die of a coronary... or keep up the pace into the distance? :becool:

domtyler

Über Member
You're right about single speeds being a crap compromise but climbing aboard a well built fixie and taking off into the distance is one of lifes true pleasures. However, you need to bear in mind that being able to control and ride a fixie at great speeds is something only a true cyclist can do, so I'm not sure whether or not you would be suited to one?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Did he turn off the main road a hundred yards further on, then jump into a hedge to die of a coronary... or keep up the pace into the distance? :becool:
he seemed to keep up the pace, but i suspect MY pace, as he didn't seem to KEEP accelerating. but he did have massive hamstrings.
domtyler said:
You're right about single speeds being a crap compromise but climbing aboard a well built fixie and taking off into the distance is one of lifes true pleasures. However, you need to bear in mind that being able to control and ride a fixie at great speeds is something only a true cyclist can do, so I'm not sure whether or not you would be suited to one?

single speeds seem the worst of both worlds. The benefit i can see of a fixed is the enforced rhythm, and the momentum of the bike keeping the cranks turning, i can sort of believe how this could be an actual mechanical advantage. But single speed... the only advnatage to that seems to be a saving of a few 100g.

riding it at great speeds?:biggrin: can't see how that's hard. it's the setting off that's the only hard bit, and remembering you're riding a fixed when you're taking a bendy bit that you'd normally coast with your outside foot down that's the hard bit isn't it?

i wouldn't mind trying one really without spending shed loads of cash on one. I wonder if there is any bike shops that would let me have a go on one?

Pottsy

Hey bonj, you almost sound like you might become a convert. Honestly, give it a go, it's great.

You'll be getting mudguards next.:ohmy:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

i saw a thread in beginners that you can get one for £225, but my problem is i don't EVEN want to spend £225 on one without knowing if i'll like it. 'cos if I do like it i'll want to get (or build) a fairly nice one, with a black frame and nice wheels...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Isn't the point of single speeds that they have less to go wrong than a geared bike, will be that bit lighter (but not as light as a fixie, I assume) and let you freewheel? Ok, it's a compromise, but a compromise for a point. I sometimes think I fancy a fixie, but I have the problem that unless a frame has a very low bottom bracket, I need to slide off the saddle to out a foot down comfortably when I stop. Which I need to freewheel to do...

I've not got one myself, but I had use of a single speed Giant Halfway for a while and it was a lovely bike, especially for about town in York, where gears are hardly necessary.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Once you get used to it you'll not want to go back to a geared bike, especially around town and in flat areas. Seriously, it's a great feeling. When i get back on a geared bike I hate the feeling that comes with needing to rely on the brakes to control speed, but you'll only get tat feeling after getting used to a fixie

the cornering thing isn't an issue once you're used to it. One of the difficult things is getting used to pedalling through potholes and over speedbumps etc, times when you would normally coast.

It's a great feeling waiting at lights with a guy on a normal racer. He'll set off all quick, ramping through the gears, but as you get up to speed you'll slowly pull back up to him, and when you pass he'll not have anything left with which to catch you and you'll power past

Maybe someone on here will lend you a fixie for a bit, you'd be welcome to mine for a while if you want to come out to Singapore!

Will1985

Über Member
bonj said:
he did have massive hamstrings.

I was going to suggest it could have been Chris Hoy, but then we know he is in China....or is he?!? :ohmy:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Arch said:
Isn't the point of single speeds that they have less to go wrong than a geared bike, will be that bit lighter (but not as light as a fixie, I assume)

why would a fixed be lighter than a single speed? don't most of them have a "flip flop hub"

Arch said:
and let you freewheel? Ok, it's a compromise, but a compromise for a point. I sometimes think I fancy a fixie, but I have the problem that unless a frame has a very low bottom bracket, I need to slide off the saddle to out a foot down comfortably when I stop. Which I need to freewheel to do...
not sure 'cos i've never rode one, but could you not come to an almost-halt with the left pedal at the top, then while going really slowly
swing your right leg over to the left, then you've got the distance that a half-turn of the cranks gives you to get your right foot over and touch down, and come to a halt? I do that thing of coasting while stood solely on one side of the bike, you could do it on a fixie but only for a short distance otherwise the left pedal will start going up again...

either that or always stop next to a lamp post.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

zimzum42 said:
Once you get used to it you'll not want to go back to a geared bike, especially around town and in flat areas. Seriously, it's a great feeling. When i get back on a geared bike I hate the feeling that comes with needing to rely on the brakes to control speed, but you'll only get tat feeling after getting used to a fixie

the cornering thing isn't an issue once you're used to it. One of the difficult things is getting used to pedalling through potholes and over speedbumps etc, times when you would normally coast.

It's a great feeling waiting at lights with a guy on a normal racer. He'll set off all quick, ramping through the gears, but as you get up to speed you'll slowly pull back up to him, and when you pass he'll not have anything left with which to catch you and you'll power past

Maybe someone on here will lend you a fixie for a bit, you'd be welcome to mine for a while if you want to come out to Singapore!

that's what i want to get used to anyway - which is why i think a fixie would be good for my cycling in general and improve my cycling on my geared bike, and presumably also why people have them as a 'training bike'.
one of the problems i think i've got with my cycling is a tendency to accelerate and slow down too much - i.e. i accelerate up to maximum speed and then slow down when there's a gust of wind, slight climb or obstacle, etc., and then accelerate again, etc. and i think i'm expending too much energy on acceleration. Which is one of the reasons why i think experience aswell as just strength and fitness is important to how good at cycling you are.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Bonj, you can always give my fixed a go. Mines fixed/fixed. Its lovely to cruise around on, when theres no rush, weathers warm and sunny and theres little traffic.
Going around a tight courner fast i found slightly harder then going over a bump. I went to coast and i was still nervouse about pedals strike, i really thought i would get it on one courner. Going over a bump i found it easier, i used the pedals to lift me up. What i did have to get used to was when sitting down, when i thought i dont normally coast, i must do as when i went back to sitting down the pedals would whip my legs back to going. So i guess they will stop the jerking when getting out the seat, stop you pushing the bike back.
When i stop, i will either stay on the seat and unclip just before one pedal comes up to lift me off the seat and put a foot down. If the pedals arent in the right place, then i lift the back wheel off the ground and move my foot right, or try and stop and time it right with the pedals. Never been a problem, and i find clipping in is easier on the fixed then my geared.
Go for it Bonj, build one up cheap, mine cost under £150 to build, with a sprey job.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I built a fixie on a frame I got from Ebay for £5. I spent about £100 on the wheels (a bargain for matching wheels with a fixed rear hub), and maybe £50 on tyres, tubes, rim tapes, a chain and a sprocket and lock ring. £10 for brakes. The other parts I already had - not that there are many.

It's only really light because of all the stuff that's not on it.

I've never had any trouble riding it, but I guess I rarely stop pedalling on any bike anyway.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Frame was free, £50 for the sprey(done by a mate), £50 in the LBS(thats BB, wheel build with rim and spokes, chain, bar tape), £20 to someone in the club for parts, got some free aswell then the hub was £39.99 for the front and back. So slightly over £150, but would of been cheaper if i could of got the hub that is sold seperatly to fit.
Some of the parts are old, chainset could do with replacing really, its not exactly true which creates a slight bit of noise, but its not too bad.
Go fixed Bonj:becool:

Top Bottom