Overweight beginner looking to start cycling (Help needed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy85

Afternoon everybody.

I am looking to start cycling, basically just for fitness, and for fun. I have not cycled since I was young, so I am unsure as to which type of bike to get.

A few details about myself:

I am a 6'4" male and about 25 stone.

Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a bike that would hold my weight, and be okay to ride on?
I will just be cycling around parks and stuff mainly, I won't be doing any off-roading or anything.

I don't have a great deal to spend (something between £150-£200) is what I was hoping to spend.

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me :smile:

If I have no provided enough information for anyone, then I apologise, and I will answer any questions.

Thanks again

P.S: It would be great to hear from other overweight cyclists to hear your tips/stories etc :ohmy:

philr

you have not put your age on the post (or at least i could not see it) get the OK from your G.P. to be safe, and enjoy, the weight will drop off so fast you will risk trousers falling to down in public before you know it. take it easy to start off, easy to say i know and slowly build on distance / time in the saddle. also shopping around for a suitable bike is loads of fun, make sure you visit your local bike store for what should be really good quality advice.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi Jimmy85 - Where in the country are you located?
Jimmy85 said:
Afternoon everybody.

I am looking to start cycling, basically just for fitness, and for fun. I have not cycled since I was young, so I am unsure as to which type of bike to get.

A few details about myself:

I am a 6'4" male and about 25 stone.

Do you think it would be difficult for me to find a bike that would hold my weight, and be okay to ride on?
I will just be cycling around parks and stuff mainly, I won't be doing any off-roading or anything.

I don't have a great deal to spend (something between £150-£200) is what I was hoping to spend.

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me :smile:

If I have no provided enough information for anyone, then I apologise, and I will answer any questions.

Thanks again

P.S: It would be great to hear from other overweight cyclists to hear your tips/stories etc :ohmy:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
philr said:
you have not put your age on the post (or at least i could not see it)

My Spider senses tell me the OP is 23 or 24 - could be wrong though!

Hi Jimmy
I would think a stirdy hybrid would take the weight okay - I was a bit lighter than you but not that much, when I re-started cycling regularly last summer. Lost just over 2 stones since but fell much fitter and better for it. I still eat the wrong things though - hence the nominal weight loss :smile:

I went for a Specialized Globe 2008 from Evans for £200 but I think the 2009 models are more expensive (and they don't look as good). You might need to consider a decent second hand bike - should be easy to get one for £150 ish!

Note - I had problems with the standard factory fitted rear wheel that my bike came with. A couple of spokes broke in quick succession after a few months and the replacement wheel (done under warranty - same wheel model) didn't last more then a couple of weeks before another spoke went ping! Had the LBS swap it out for a decent quality Mavic wheel and it's been just fine since :ohmy:

Good luck with the cycling and keep us updated with your progress.

Regards,
SD

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

hi SittingDuck,

Thank you for replying :ohmy:

I am looking around at some second-hand bikes at the moment. If I see some which might be worth getting, can I post it on here, and see what you think?

Thanks ;)

Looks like good advice from SittingDuck.

I might have something in the shed suitable to get you started, but it needs fixing up. I'm short on time for the next couple of weeks, but can maybe get it out at the weekend and post a picture of it here? (Apologies now if I don't)

It's an oldish but good Carerra MTB. I think it is only an 18" frame but it has the reach of a much larger bike, so raise the saddle a bit and it should be fine for you. Too long for me.

At the moment there is some play in the bottom bracket and front wheel. Worst case scenario, I probably have spares for both.

It is steel, so sturdy. Shimano components throughout. Alloy, not plastic.

I'm in Manchester, so not too far away.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

Hi Ed,

How much are you looking for, for the bike?

Also (question to all), because I'm heavy, will I need a special type of tyre for the bike I get?

Cheers

Jimmy85 said:
hi SittingDuck,

Thank you for replying ;)

I am looking around at some second-hand bikes at the moment. If I see some which might be worth getting, can I post it on here, and see what you think?

If you do that, you'll have a queue of people waiting to tell you what they think. :ohmy:

You'll get some good advice on here .. I know I have. Welcome, and enjoy your cycling on whatever you end up getting.

jay clock

Massive member
In terms of how much cycling to do, just take it nice and easy. A mile or two a day for a few days. the 2-3 miles for a few days - then 3-4 etc. Little and often. Use the gears to keep your legs spinning quite fast - much better than grinding away. Imaging trying to lift a 50 kg bag of cement in one go? Very hard. Now 10 times 5kg bags? Quite easy. That's the principle of gearing.

In terms of weight loss, you will probably burn about 40 calories per km cycling (maybe more as you have more weight to carry around. So 10km =400 cals. If you reduce your food intake by 100 cals you have a net reudction in calories of 500, or 3500 per week. This just happens to be the calories required to lose one pound in weight. SO all things being equal, a 10k daily ride and 100 less cals will see you lose 52 in a year. You can probably do much better, particularly in the early days, by going on a proper balanced calorie controlled diet. I lost 3.5 stone on Weight Watchers this way.

GO FOR IT!

The bike cost me £30.

So that plus cost of any spares.

TBH it's a long shot just now... if you can find someone else to look at if, you can have it as is for what I paid. If you are prepared to wait, I'll get it fix it up.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

jay clock said:
In terms of how much cycling to do, just take it nice and easy. A mile or two a day for a few days. the 2-3 miles for a few days - then 3-4 etc. Little and often. Use the gears to keep your legs spinning quite fast - much better than grinding away. Imaging trying to lift a 50 kg bag of cement in one go? Very hard. Now 10 times 5kg bags? Quite easy. That's the principle of gearing.

In terms of weight loss, you will probably burn about 40 calories per km cycling (maybe more as you have more weight to carry around. So 10km =400 cals. If you reduce your food intake by 100 cals you have a net reudction in calories of 500, or 3500 per week. This just happens to be the calories required to lose one pound in weight. SO all things being equal, a 10k daily ride and 100 less cals will see you lose 52 in a year. You can probably do much better, particularly in the early days, by going on a proper balanced calorie controlled diet. I lost 3.5 stone on Weight Watchers this way.

GO FOR IT!

Thanks for youe input, really appreciated :smile:

I am starting a Weight Watchers diet myself, at the beginning of May, so hopefully the diet and the cycling (plus I play football too) will aid my weight loss :sad:

OP
OP
J

Jimmy85

ed_o_brain said:
The bike cost me £30.

So that plus cost of any spares.

TBH it's a long shot just now... if you can find someone else to look at if, you can have it as is for what I paid. If you are prepared to wait, I'll get it fix it up.

Do you have a rough estimate of how much it may cost to fix it up? I don't really know anywhere here that may fix it up, but I could find out.

I don't mind waiting, just as long as it won't break as soon as I sit on it haha :sad:

Also, will I need different tyres because of my weight?

Thanks, and sorry to be a pain!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jimmy85 said:
Also, will I need different tyres because of my weight?

Unlikely..

Hi, by the way, and good luck with it all!

Whatever tyres are on the bike should be fine - if it's an MTB the wheels won't be ultra skinny or anything. If they are knobbly tyres it might be worth having them changed for slicker ones, just to reduce the drag (knobbles on tarmac just slow you down, and aren't really needed unless you plan to ride in actual mud.) Maybe treat yourself to some decent Big Apples (made by Schwalbe) - they are quite beefy and provide a fair bit of cushioning without too much drag.

If this bike doesn't work out (and I hope it does, always nice to see the forum work it's magic), your idea of going second hand is a good one - you'll get a much better bike for your money. Old tourers are pretty tough, and built to carry the rider plus 4 or more full bags of camping kit, so they are strong too.

Also, if you're on a budget, remember the other stuff it's wise to have - a decent lock (not a pound shop cable type), maybe some lights, a pump, puncture repair kit, perhaps a multitool for the most basic adjustments... Don't bother with special clothes yet - you'll get smaller! Just ride in stuff that is comfortable, try and avoid trousers with bulky seams (although I'm in jeans most of the time when I ride...).

Ride a little and often, and spin a low gear like Jay said, and you'll find it gets easier and easier. Good luck!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Jimmy

Regarding the tyres; what Arch said :sad:
I would get some slicks (if you plump for an MTB) and pump them up to max pressure... you will notice a helluva difference on tarmac!

Feel free to post any bikes that tickle your fancy on here... we seem to be great spender's of other people's money on CC ;)

Best of luck with it all
SD

Top Bottom