OYBike - would you, or have you used one ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

This scheme has been brought to Cheltenham over the last few weeks and have been given a fair bit of coverage by the press

I noticed it in Hammersmith last year, but is being expanded to different areas Have you, or would you use the scheme if it came to your area, and what did you think of the bikes ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
No.

It's a retrograde step, to my mind, necessitated by not having transport systems that integrate with people's own bikes. why would I hire a bike if I have a perfectly good one (or two) in the garage, unless I have to because there's no space or a crappy bike policy on the transport into the city etc?

I can only see using one if I get caught in town without my own bike for whatever reason, and need to get somewhere quickly...

OP
OP
L

LLB

TBH, the bike has some nice features for durability, and shaft drive to keep the oil off your leg, but they look like a cross between something out of the Wizard of Oz and a delivery bike with the weight to go with it.

It is being aimed at students, but they are always going on at how broke they are so would they be happy to pay for this in addition to a bus pass, as it costs almost as much for 24 hours hire as a weeks travel on the bus, and students being vain creatures may be put off by the clunker designs of the bikes ?

OP
OP
L

LLB

Note the comments in the papers website at the bottom of the article.

I would personally favour uber security lockup points dotted around the town ( secure cages) which runs on a registered smart card system, so I am happy to lock up my own bike than use community bikes like this TBH.

Jaded

linfordlunchbox said:
Note the comments in the papers website at the bottom of the article.

Yes, there's even Cheltenham's own Mr Illiterate tilting at Traffic Lights.

"More cycle tracks! Less Traffic Lights, Cheltenham"

OP
OP
L

LLB

Jaded said:
Yes, there's even Cheltenham's own Mr Illiterate tilting at Traffic Lights.

"More cycle tracks! Less Traffic Lights, Cheltenham"

Although I don't agree with the sentiment of more cycle tracks, I do with that of the traffic light quantity - Good to see I am not alone in my appraisal of the farcical system implemented by the 'experts' . Are you an 'expert' Jaded ?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hmm... it would depend where the docking stations were... I would be tempted to use it if arriving by train and visiting a friend (would it go out to the suburban bits)... but if I had the kids in tow then it would be cheaper to get a taxi.

Jaded

linfordlunchbox said:
Although I don't agree with the sentiment of more cycle tracks, I do with that of the traffic light quantity - Good to see I am not alone in my appraisal of the farcical system implemented by the 'experts' . Are you an 'expert' Jaded ?

Of course I'm an expert. Do you think I'd be posting if I knew nothing?

OP
OP
L

LLB

Jaded said:
Of course I'm an expert. Do you think I'd be posting if I knew nothing?

Whilst you are in expert mode, perhaps you can also explain why the Rising bollard hasn't worked for the two three years since it was installed, and can I as a taxpayer have a refund from the 'expert' who thought it would be a good idea to install it :wacko:

OP
OP
L

LLB

Jaded said:
I don't remember being on that committee.

It was the one which discussed how the free limited on road parking was removed when the new owners of the Beechwood arcade bribed the council cut a deal to build another tier of very expensive parking onto their facility in exchange for some (now scruffy looking) yorkshire flagstone paving outside the front of the arcade on the high street. I'll wager that there were some jollies foreign fact finding missions for the council staff paid for on the back of that one :wacko:

Jaded

linfordlunchbox said:
It was the one which discussed how the free limited on road parking was removed when the new owners of the Beechwood arcade bribed the council cut a deal to build another tier of very expensive parking onto their facility in exchange for some (now scruffy looking) yorkshire flagstone paving outside the front of the arcade on the high street. I'll wager that there were some jollies foreign fact finding missions for the council staff paid for on the back of that one :wacko:

Oh, I think I remember - it was the one where you couldn't work out that it isn't actually possible to allow everyone to park right outside the shops like they used to in the golden era when you were growing up. We worked out that if the only provision for parking was on-street that if you didn't get into town at 6:00am you would have to park in Tewkesbury and walk from there. We talked about the cost of provision of parking spaces and highlighted the fact that, actually, parking provision does not grow on trees.

Was that the thread?

OP
OP
L

LLB

Jaded said:
Oh, I think I remember - it was the one where you couldn't work out that it isn't actually possible to allow everyone to park right outside the shops like they used to in the golden era when you were growing up. We worked out that if the only provision for parking was on-street that if you didn't get into town at 6:00am you would have to park in Tewkesbury and walk from there. We talked about the cost of provision of parking spaces and highlighted the fact that, actually, parking provision does not grow on trees.

Was that the thread?

Erm no, there has been off road parking in the town for as long as I can remember.

Off road car parks have been in favour for years for their convenience (especially NCPs old bomb sites) . It's just that greed gets the better of the owners and the council and this rightly causes bad feeling amonst those who come to visit or live in the towns in their private vehicles.

Not everyone lives within walking distance, and not everyone wants to use public transport.

I feel the same way for lack of secure cycling facilities FWIW and don't feel happy to leave my bike chained up for fear of some scrote having a go at it

Top Bottom