Packable waterproofs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom87

So, I need a packable waterproof that can fit in a jersey pocket. Are there any that aren't extortionately priced?

I've been looking around and have been quite disturbed. The prices seem to be £70+ and for the really posh makes, the ones that price aren't even waterproof!!

£30 and less sounds reasonable to me, but so far it's futile. I don't know what the hell the manufacturers are making them out of, especially as most are just water resistant at best.

Are there any options left for a stingy git like me? (apart from bin liner ponchos....)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Fear not: You are not the only stingy git. Preston is obviously full of them as Ribble cycles have these:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=APISZCAP200

I've found 'shower proof' is enough on hard rides, as you won't stay dry (from perspiration) in any sort of waterproof. Not even Goretex can cope with the steam caused by 'pushing on a bit'.

Odyssey

Think I've spotted one or two in TK Maxx recently. Not a vast selection by any means (you'll be lucky if you can find any) and I have no idea what they're like, but if you have one around it may be worth a look.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
I've got both the Montane Velo (showerproof windstopper) amd Montane H20 (waterproof). A bit above your budget at about £40 RRP but a bit of searching might find a bargain now the good weathers started (????).

Like TB I almost always use the showerproof. Anything "waterproof" just gives me that boil in the bag sensation.

in desperation i washed a "windproof" in the nikwax wash in waterproofer when i was reproofing a goretex walking jacket and got myself a pretty decent waterproof from a jacket i never wore.
it seems just as waterproof as my lowe alpine that got ruined.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Montane jackets are really good - they pack down incredibly small. The Velo is surprisingly waterproof for a "showerproof" jacket.

Top Bottom