Paid £50 for the Parts, but now the Frame is starting to talk to me. Identification???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkinOz

Regular
Picked up this bike last week in Sydney, Australia for the equivalent of £50. Was initially attracted by the derailleur parts and the “bling” Headset. I’ve had a look and reckon it might be a Colnago pantographed Lega Leggerra?? Anyone seen one of these before??

Anyway, I started to wipe the frame with a damp cloth and saw that the lugs were kind of cool and well presented and that the “fast back” Seat Stays really stood out. Noticed
that the BB Shell was Bocama and that the Front and Rear Dropouts were Columbus. Kind of perplexed now as it seems to be a pretty good frame.

No rIffling in the steerer so not SL/SLX, seat post diameter 26.4, and no decals/pantographing or serial number!!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice little frame

I'm intrigued by the headset. Colnago had a habit of plating anything they could in gold, but the finish looks more satin, which would fit with it being maybe anodised ali? That would fit with being leggera too, like this one. The pantographing could have been done after-market, as there seems to be loads of pantographing and plating in Oz - that's where CycloRetro is based I think. Also, is it missing the matching top nut?

Can't really tell what the components are beyond those shown (non drive-side photos ftl) other than the suicide levers on the brakes, which tend to imply either 'nice bitsa/commuter bike' rather than 'thoroughbred racing machine'. Certainly looks like a well built frame though and an absolute bargain at £50! Careful with the clamp on the top tube though :okay:

It has Columbus drop-outs so possibly/probably a Columbus frame and some of those can be very good. It's a pity there's no decals on it to say the type of steel.

Possible also that the suicide levers are not original equipment.

Is the front hub gold anodised?

I'd be very happy with a bike and bargain like that.

OP
OP
M

MarkinOz

Regular
I'm intrigued by the headset. Colnago had a habit of plating anything they could in gold, but the finish looks more satin, which would fit with it being maybe anodised ali? That would fit with being leggera too, like this one. The pantographing could have been done after-market, as there seems to be loads of pantographing and plating in Oz - that's where CycloRetro is based I think. Also, is it missing the matching top nut?

Can't really tell what the components are beyond those shown (non drive-side photos ftl) other than the suicide levers on the brakes, which tend to imply either 'nice bitsa/commuter bike' rather than 'thoroughbred racing machine'. Certainly looks like a well built frame though and an absolute bargain at £50! Careful with the clamp on the top tube though :okay:
Yeah, I didn’t think about CycloRetro, might give them a call.👍🏼
The Groupset was a real mismatch of components from an ‘87 Campag Super Record through to a Shimano 600 Crankset and saddle finishing with
Thats nice, give it a clean and a service then ride it.
i’d love to ride it but waaaaaaaay to small for me.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yeah, I didn’t think about CycloRetro, might give them a call.👍🏼
The Groupset was a real mismatch of components from an ‘87 Campag Super Record through to a Shimano 600 Crankset and saddle finishing with

i’d love to ride it but waaaaaaaay to small for me.

Thats a shame, what size is it?

Top Bottom