Paid bicycle parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Does anywhere in the UK offer some sort of paid bicycle parking, in city centres, or near shops...etc.

I wouldn't want to ride my bike into town and leave it locked up (even with a few good locks on it), but would pay a nominal amount per hour to have it securely locked away where only I could access it. Somewhere where the weather wouldn't get to it, etc. Somewhere where I wouldn't need to take a lock!!

A bit like a car park, but for bikes. Even if it was a couple quid an hour, that would still work out cheaper for me than getting the bus if I just wanted to pop into town, and I would prefer to cycle anyway.

Would anyone else be willing to pay for properly, secure bike parking. I accept there is always a risk...but I'll pass on leaving my bike in the elements in the bit where there's no CCTV and no one gives a toot.

Norm

thomas said:
Would anyone else be willing to pay for properly, secure bike parking.
*Norm raises hand enthusiastically*

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
I was kind of tempted to contact the Norwich car parks...but I'm sure the idea would just get shot down. They could remove just one car parking bay and fit at least 3 bikes in that area.

Maybe each bike could go in an individual cage, which requires some sort of pin code which the owner sets/randomly set and given on a ticket. I don't know....

Norm

Gunwharf Quays, under the Spinnaker tower in Portsmouth, has motorcycle parking which provides solid points to which you can anchor your bike and has lockers to put your kit into. And motorbikes park there free of charge.

Not exactly what you were looking for but it shows that some companies might consider such things commercially viable. :biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
I was in Germany recently and had to get a train to the airport from a smallish provincial town. I noted that at the station were lots and lots of bike boxes which I presume you could rent. So, it works in other countries rather well.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Bike lockers are routinely vetoed.

We might end up with an indoor parking facility to park your bikes here at a new bike shop etc. They may charge, I just hope they aren't too greedy.

Coco

Scotrail have them as well. about 3 or 4 at my local station. I don't think you have to pay for them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The Mud Dock (bike shop) in Bristol offers bike parking and showers - I've never used them so can't comment.

http://www.mud-dock.co.uk/bikeshed/31_philosophy.html

can't see how much it costs on the website.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Like Leicestr Bike Park you mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Bike_Park

thomas said:
Does anywhere in the UK offer some sort of paid bicycle parking, in city centres, or near shops...etc.

I wouldn't want to ride my bike into town and leave it locked up (even with a few good locks on it), but would pay a nominal amount per hour to have it securely locked away where only I could access it. Somewhere where the weather wouldn't get to it, etc. Somewhere where I wouldn't need to take a lock!!

A bit like a car park, but for bikes. Even if it was a couple quid an hour, that would still work out cheaper for me than getting the bus if I just wanted to pop into town, and I would prefer to cycle anyway.

Would anyone else be willing to pay for properly, secure bike parking. I accept there is always a risk...but I'll pass on leaving my bike in the elements in the bit where there's no CCTV and no one gives a toot.

Top Bottom