Pain/ache behind the knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blindmanpugh

I have just started cycling regularly again as a means of keeping fit, and commuting to work. However, it seems that the more I cycle the more pain/ache i get behind my right knee. I have rested for a week and the ache had almost disappeared. I then went out for a quick spin last night and although there appeared to be no pain whilst riding within, 15 minutes of stopping the pain/ache had reappeared. The pain is a dull ache and feels like I have pulled a muscle there and the pain/ache doesn't go away for about a week.

I have tried changing the position of my cleats, saddle and tried to adjust my riding style so i am not pushing big gears (ie Spinning rather than grinding) but now am at a loss as to what to do to solve the problem.

Has anyone got any ideas on what the problem could be and more importantly how i could solve it..???

dickothedrafter

I have exactly the same problem, can anyone help us please :tongue:

I don't remember where I read it, on here maybe but pain in the knee's

Below the knee = seat too low
Behind the knee = seat too high
Outside of knee = cleats too far in
Inside of knee = cleats too far out

When I had issues I followed this and have not had knee pain since, small adjustments are sometimes all thats needed, I moved my saddle up 2mm and no pain

dickothedrafter

HeartAttack said:
I don't remember where I read it, on here maybe but pain in the knee's

Below the knee = seat too low
Behind the knee = seat too high
Outside of knee = cleats too far in
Inside of knee = cleats too far out

When I had issues I followed this and have not had knee pain since, small adjustments are sometimes all thats needed, I moved my saddle up 2mm and no pain

Cheers that is a great help.......Only thing that is confusing me now is that surely the pain would be in both legs if say in my case the seat appears to be too high. I only have pain in my right leg (Strongest Leg):biggrin:

dickothedrafter said:
Cheers that is a great help.......Only thing that is confusing me now is that surely the pain would be in both legs if say in my case the seat appears to be too high. I only have pain in my right leg (Strongest Leg):biggrin:

Most peoples legs are very slightly different lengths, 1 or 2mm at most but thats all it can take to cause a pain or fix one, my left leg is 2mm shorter than my right so I set the saddle for my right and have no issues with my left.

kyuss

Veteran
Like HeartAttack suggests, it's almost certainly too high a saddle. I had similar pain behind my right knee over longer distances a few years back and dropping the saddle 5mm sorted it overnight.

ramboto

Better have it checked by medical experts. It can be attributed to arthritis or other problems.

dickothedrafter

HeartAttack said:
Most peoples legs are very slightly different lengths, 1 or 2mm at most but thats all it can take to cause a pain or fix one, my left leg is 2mm shorter than my right so I set the saddle for my right and have no issues with my left.
Thanks for that, never thought about legs being slightly different lengths ;)

I will try lowering my seat a little and see if that cures it :ohmy:

Top Bottom