Pain in the neck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonder if anyone can help. Have got back into my cycling this last few months. Now all the old pains are back. The worst is a nagging pain in between my neck and shoulder, about half way along. Its more painful after a ride, than during. Was wondering if anyone has had similar, and found a way to stop it. It really is quite uncomfortable, most of the time. Could it be i'm overstretching on the bike, and maybe a shorter stem would help. Anyhow, thanks in advance for your help.

Blue

Legendary Member
I solved a similar problem by getting a shorter stem and raising the bars by flipping the stem into an upward angle.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I had a similar problem when I first started riding on the road and Blue's solution worked for me; you can also tilt the bars towards you a little... I still used the shorter stem, but I don't need the upward tilt any more.

Willow

I have that and thought it was probably the fact I'm tall and handle bars are fixed (should have thought of that when I bought the bike) am hoping it will go when I start my regular commute in Sept.

Gerry Attrick said:
Such pains can be caused by bars which are too wide. The width of the bars should be equal to the distance between the two bony lumps on the front of your shoulders.

Someone said they thought my bars weren't wide enough, but I like them for the very reason you mention. Far more comfortable.

Top Bottom