1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pannier Rack for my Bike?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JtB, 15 Jun 2008.

1. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Can anyone please recommend a rear Pannier Rack that will attach to the bike below which has a 27" wheel and a large frame (I can't remember the frame size).
    [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Shaun.

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

if it doesn't have eyes in the frame for the rack to be screwed into, and it looks like it doesn't, you're looking at having the rack attached with P clips which limits how much weight you'll be able to carry but it's still plenty

your LBS will be able to advise and fit

3. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Tynan,
    I don't think my bike has the eyes in the frame you mention. What do the P clips attach to? By the way, the only weight I need to carry is a laptop (and pack lunch).
    Thanks,
    Shaun.

[​IMG]

4. RedBike

RedBike New Member

They just loop around the frame and tighten up/ secure to the rack with a bolt
    [​IMG]

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

6. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

From what I can tell, for the pannier rack that attaches to the seat post, it looks like its lower part does not attached to anything. That doesn't look too secure to me.
    Shaun.

7. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

i had one but it didn't take much weight and did move sometimes because i couldn't get it tight enough.
    a proper pannier rack should be ok. it'll bolt to the same eyelet as the mudguards at the hub ,with p clips at the top.
    I'm using one like that at the moment.

8. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

I used to have have one of these (which I recently sold on ebay) and I found it very good. Held up to 9kg and never had any problems with it moving, but I did follow advice I found online when fitting it, by using a piece of old innertube as a collar. But it's not the cheapest option. I think unless you want to be able to remove the rack regularly then it's not worth it.

9. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

10. OP
    OP
    JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Thanks all, job done :evil:
    [​IMG]