Pannier Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L

I've been using my Spesh to commute to work the past couple of weeks, until like the MummyTrailerTowing bike it doesn't have a rack & panniers attached, as I originally bought it as my 'fast', weekend bubba-free bike, it was not something I even thought about, But i've realised now a rack would be handy.
I'd like one that could be removed very quickly, with the minimum of fuss, so if i do want to go out for a blast, do Sportives it's no biggy to just whip it off - It won't be carring mega weight, just the few bits I need to take to work each day, i'm fed up of the soggy back from my small rucksack
I've looked on CRC, Wiggle, Evans but not it doesn't really mention above fitting/unfitting times
Have any of you guys got any suggestions plaese xx

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My rack in held on by 4 bolts, not too bad, but it takes a while getting it lined up and straight and level that takes the time

lejogger

Guru
Have a look at the topeak seatpost racks. They just have a quick release so you can get them on and off in a matter of seconds. Sturdy too - I toured for 9 days with one.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Look at seatpost racks or even better, a Carradice larger saddle bag with a Bagman support system.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use quick release rack on my TDF as it did not come with mounting points at the top ... less than a minute + you can get a replacement end cap to mount a rear light in.(+1 on each pannier bag )

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...6771737fffa84c7

109161.jpg

Why not go traditional and use a saddlebag?

A large one such as the Carradice Camper Long flap or the SQR bags carry the same as a small pannier.

You can attach with a couple of straps or the quick release system slips on and off the seatpost in a few seconds

sqrblock.jpg

OP
OP
funnymummy

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
My rack in held on by 4 bolts, not too bad, but it takes a while getting it lined up and straight and level that takes the time
The one on MummyBike is the same, only 4 small bolts, I had thought of transfering it to my Spesh for during the week, tried it the other day 20 mins to unfasten the panniers, take rack off old bike fix onto new, then fasten the panniers on - Mine have straps & buckles, as they never normally come off t rack I thought they'd be the most secure.

The seat post ones look fab - I'd never even thought of those D'uh!! (I will be getting a new pannier with QR clips too)

Cheers x

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I use quick release rack on my TDF as it did not come with mounting points at the top ... less than a minute + you can get a replacement end cap to mount a rear light in.(+1 on each pannier bag )

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...6771737fffa84c7

109161.jpg

i had one of these and i was ultimately disappointed with it... in fact it's in a charity shop at the moment and i pity the fool who buys it.

It goes on with ease and certainly feels sturdy, until there's some weight on it and the bike leans to one side or the other, then it tends to twist around the seatpost. Utter crap IMO.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i had one of these and i was ultimately disappointed with it... in fact it's in a charity shop at the moment and i pity the fool who buys it.

It goes on with ease and certainly feels sturdy, until there's some weight on it and the bike leans to one side or the other, then it tends to twist around the seatpost. Utter crap IMO.

Not tight enough then , mines fine and i carry 2 panniers on it ,you need to get the right rubber shim in it as mine came with 2 dependent on seatpost size.Or get down the gym and get some arm muscles :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Tailfin rack and panniers.

Expensive, but work perfectly.

Unlikely someone looking at a 25 quid rack is prepared to pay 10 times as much, then there's the suitability question.

@Rikolet says he's after a pannier rack, but has linked to a combined platform/pannier rack, so I think we need to know if the plan is to use pannier bags or a trunk bag, or a mixture of the two.

Rikolet

Regular
Unlikely someone looking at a 25 quid rack is prepared to pay 10 times as much, then there's the suitability question.

@Rikolet says he's after a pannier rack, but has linked to a combined platform/pannier rack, so I think we need to know if the plan is to use pannier bags or a trunk bag, or a mixture of the two.
I was looking for a rack to cover my needs as a commuter and weekend (or backpack trips) On full load will be combine of both (triple pannier). Daily commuting obviously much less, but I still carry 5 to 8kg.

Top Bottom