Panniers & Disc Brakes ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the past couple of years i've enjoyed some light xc mountain biking on the forestry commision trails but i really fancy doing some touring ... i've just bought some slick(ish) tyres for my mountain bike but im not sure if i can attach panniers to the bike as i have hydraulic disc brakes which from what i've read can be a problem ? has anyone else converted their mountain bike to be used as a tourer ?

Simon

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Thanks User

Is it worth converting the mountain bike or should i be looking at buying something that is more suited to touring ? Comfort is more important than speed

Simon

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
In my opinion the only thing that would put me off touring on a mountain bike would be if it had suspension that couldn't lock out. You really don't need it on the road.

It does have front suspension (without lockout) but in all honesty if the mountain bike is worth converting then i would'nt mind putting a rigid fork on the front end ... i did read in last months cycling + magazine that a couple toured France with mountain bikes and they used a Kona Project 2 front fork that allowed them to use 700c wheels with disc brakes without upsetting the original geometry of the bike, so maybe this could be an option for me ?

Simon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Jakes Dad said:
Over the past couple of years i've enjoyed some light xc mountain biking on the forestry commision trails but i really fancy doing some touring ... i've just bought some slick(ish) tyres for my mountain bike but im not sure if i can attach panniers to the bike as i have hydraulic disc brakes which from what i've read can be a problem ? has anyone else converted their mountain bike to be used as a tourer ?

Simon

It can be done but I'm not sure if the geometry of an MTB lends itself to comfort for a long day in the saddle.

I've done 40 mile rides on several different mountain bikes and found the experiences to be more punishing than using a road or touring bike. That's not to say it's not worth doing. I've seen several riders doing LEJOG on mountain bikes and a couple of my friends tour with Scott mountain bikes which have had their rigid forks replaced with suspension forks. They are quite happy with their set up.

Have a look at the Carradice web site http://www.carradice.co.uk for a range of panniers and racks that might meet your needs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Out of interest what is the problem with disk brakes and a rack.... because that's currently the option I am going with on the new bike. The LBS didn't mention it being a problem.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
summerdays said:
Out of interest what is the problem with disk brakes and a rack.... because that's currently the option I am going with on the new bike. The LBS didn't mention it being a problem.

Your local bike shop might not have mentioned it as being a problem because you might not have asked about mounting a rack or that the problem no longer exists with the vailabilityn of racks that can accommodate disc brakes.

The problem lies with standard bike racks being unable to fit around the bulge of the disc brake mechanism.

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
vernon said:
It can be done but I'm not sure if the geometry of an MTB lends itself to comfort for a long day in the saddle.

I've done 40 mile rides on several different mountain bikes and found the experiences to be more punishing than using a road or touring bike.

I had'nt given this much thought to be honest ... I've been doing some 15 to 20 mile rides and at the end of them i've been quite achey / uncomfortable but i just put this down to not being used to it ? Maybe i should have a look at some proper touring bikes or at least something that has a geometry more suited to longer days in the saddle

Thanks for the Replys

Simon

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
No the LBS know I want the pannier rack too, cos they stock Nimrod panniers and can't get hold of Tortec Expedition Alloy rack I had decided I wanted (my existing Nimrod rack catches my pannier bag - plus I think it looks nicer).

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Summerdays ... check that the Tortec Rack is disk brake compatible

I suppose as disc brakes become more common place on tourers and road bikes then we will see more manufacturers supplying compatible racks but at the moment their is'nt alot of choice

Simon

Alcdrew

I'm looking for a rack to fit on a disc braked bike, I haven't got as far as talking to the LBS about my options yet, but as far as I can see racks designed for use with disc brakes are a tiny bit wider with the L conector to bolt on to the eye lets. A couple of options i'm thinking about at the moment is, adding a spacer between the frame and rack on the brake side, I'm assuming that there will be a bit of play in the rack so it could be bent (for want of a better word) in to place. Or use something like the Tubus QR-axle mounting system which seems to move the rack away from the area that the brakes are in. as seen here
vergroesserung.html

summerdays I'd like to here what you are/went for.

Alcdrew

Bit 'cluncky' for my needs I'm wanting the Tubus Fly, just need to find away of making it fit, or something similar looking that will suit disc's.

I need something that look really good when nothing is attached. And don't need to carry that a heavy load.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm due to pick up the bike at the wekend - the bike shop have re-affirmed that their normal ordinary rack will fit over disk brakes.... if it doesn't then its going back cos I have definately checked this matter.

A different bike shop (Evans - went in to look at their stock) said it depended on where the caliper was to whether it was possible to fit a normal rack.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Alcdrew said:
I need something that look really good when nothing is attached. And don't need to carry that a heavy load.

have you considered a saddle bag? when not attached it looks like its not there, and can carry reasonable loads

Alcdrew

hubgearfreak said:
have you considered a saddle bag? when not attached it looks like its not there, and can carry reasonable loads

I currently use a QR topeak rack, which attaches to the seatpost and as you can guess with the QR bit is easy to remove. Just I have been thinking more and more about using a proper pannier, as it'll be easier to carry when I'm out. Like I say the Tubus is perfect for me in looks and function. But alas I don't think it will fit, at least not out of the box. As I have found comments on the net about my bike and it seems the disc caliper is in the way for normal racks. So I'm stuck.

Top Bottom