Panniers or Rucsack and Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
I have been commuting to work a few times now on my Giant hybrid which I bought as I wasn't sure whether the Scott Sub 30 I had was really suited to commuting (wrongly I think). When using the Giant I have it loaded with 2 panniers and the bike, whilst stable, does feel particularly unwieldy and hard to manouevre - I suspect that this is down to me not being used to it as much as anything.

I am wondering whether using a rucksack as an alternative may be better? What do others use? I could arrange it that I only need to carry less stuff so a rucksack would suffice. If this is a comfortable and viable option for an 11 mile commute then I could use the Scott bike and not the more cumbersome Giant.

I also have a question regarding tyres. The commute for me involves a short part of canal path where this loose gravel - no really rough stuff and the Giant is fitted with Marathon Plus tyres which are bomb proof but do slow it down. Arguably, if I use a rucksack rather than panniers, I could sell that bike and use the Scott (faster) but am not sure if the tyres fitted are up to any off road at all - they are Continental Sport Contact 37c tyres and don't have very much tread on them so am a bit concerned that they are principally designed for on the road.

Any opinions guys?

Cheers

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi Paulq,

I'm interested to see what responses you get, because I currently have a rucksack, and have been considering panniers for some time. However, I'm not sure that I want to make my bike a FT 'work horse' with the rack etc. and I've heard contradicting stories about whether they negatively affect the handling.

Thanks,

MG

alasdairgf

Not a fan of commuting with a rucksack because of sweaty back! Also, with a rucksack the weight you're carrying is higher above your centre of gravity, so in theory panniers should be much more stable. In theory... in practice, your mileage may vary.

I always use a pannier - with a shoulder strap for off the bike - never any handling problems even just using one pannier with 8kg of shopping - but the bike I use is quite stiff - with my light hybrid it is another matter

frank9755

Cyclist
It's not fashionable at the moment, but what you are crying out for is a saddlebag.

I switched from panniers to saddlebag (mine is a Carradice Nelson) last year and it has been wonderful. Makes the bike feel significantly lighter while giving enough carrying space for what I need. I've left the rack on as it supports the saddlebag adn on the very odd day when I need to carry a lot I can still use panniers.

Using a rucksack on a bike is a bit like using a wire basket for your weekly supermarket shopping while you are pushing a trolley!

RedBike

I am wondering whether using a rucksack as an alternative may be better? What do others use? I could arrange it that I only need to carry less stuff so a rucksack would suffice. If this is a comfortable and viable option for an 11 mile commute then I could use the Scott bike and not the more cumbersome Giant.
Have you seen the courier type bags / large saddle bags. A rucksack is probably the easiest but they do tend to cause sweaty backs.

I also have a question regarding tyres. The commute for me involves a short part of canal path where this loose gravel - no really rough stuff and the Giant is fitted with Marathon Plus tyres which are bomb proof but do slow it down. Arguably, if I use a rucksack rather than panniers, I could sell that bike and use the Scott (faster) but am not sure if the tyres fitted are up to any off road at all - they are Continental Sport Contact 37c tyres and don't have very much tread on them so am a bit concerned that they are principally designed for on the road.

I used to commute on a fixed wheel bike with 25mm tyres along gravel / muddy paths. When I was bimbling along on gravel / small stones the lack of a tread pattern didn't really make a huge difference. However, when I got onto anything muddy or wet grass then I really started to miss having an aggresively tread tyre.

Your Conti Sport Contact tyres will be fine off-road provided you respect their limitations and you realise that there will be very little grip on anything 'wet' (aka mud/grass).

RedBike

I've just realised.
Your M+ tyres haven't exactly got a tread pattern on them either!
(Well not one thats going to make any difference when riding in gravel.

biking_fox

Guru
Rucksack.

I tried paniers a few times, and unless you've got so much that you need two, thent hey felt very unbalanced to me. A Racktop bag is ideal, but can be a bit fiddly getting on and off every day, and they don't seem to be big enough for a week's clothes plus lunch plus spares et al. Again very much depends on who much you are carrying.

Yes you will get a sweaty back. But if you put a bit of effor tin you'll be getting sweaty anyway. If you don't shower+change at work, maybe paniers would be better.

Tyres. 37c? That's really fat for a road tyre. I'd put some 23 or 25s on and look for a route that avoids the gravel. Although these will be fine too providing you slow down a bit!

hillrep

Veteran
My 2p worth:

Pannier, saddlebag or rack-top bag.

Courier bags or rucksacks are fine if you are forever hopping on and off the bike, but for 11 miles I would let the bike carry the weight. Also with a rucksack your back will be much sweatier than without one.

I frequently commute with just one pannier and don't feel unbalanced.

potsy

Rambler
I.ve just started using this for my commute,good thing is if you're only carrying a bit then the paniers can be zipped away to make it into a rack bag and more aero.
For extra space fold 1 or both paniers down,very stable on bike and quick release too.

Topeak seatpost rack and matching bag-
100_0393.JPG

I do almost 20 mile round trip and it's been great,plenty of space for waterproofs,food,tool,etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ordered the rain cover for my topeak - after last Thursday's torrential rain. Generally the Topeak is fine in rain, but not waterproof in that stuff last week - had small puddles in the bottom of each pannier - dried overnight though - get's in via the zippers.

potsy

Rambler
Just ordered the rain cover for my topeak - after last Thursday's torrential rain. Generally the Topeak is fine in rain, but not waterproof in that stuff last week - had small puddles in the bottom of each pannier - dried overnight though - get's in via the zippers.

where did you get it from Foss? As this is now my all year bike I'll have to get one too.

I'd go for the yellow tbh, im not for HV all the time, but in bad weather take any extra you can get.

You could just replace your toppeak bag with their "dry bag" version which is water proof in itself :tongue:

Top Bottom