Paper Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Expanding on Adrians mention of Bromptons not being left outside, I genuinely think theft/fear of theft is one of the biggest barriers to utility cycling. Even if you take extreme measures to safeguard your steed there's still the threat of vandalism. I suffered so badly from theft anxiety that I went looking for a folder so that it could come in the shop/office with me.

Until people feel as safe leaving a bike outside as they do a car then I can't see utility cycling catching on.
Tell that to the tens of thousands who leave their bikes on the street in London and at stations. It's why pub bikes exist.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Tell that to the tens of thousands who leave their bikes on the street in London and at stations. It's why pub bikes exist.

and if you look for advice on this matter then you'll be told to run an old heap but still expect it to be stolen every so often or vandalised and dn't leave lights/saddle/seatpost on it etc. You'll even get advice that tells you to just be a cheapo, no questions asked, down the market and rinse and repeat as required. Thus helping to support the trade in stolen bikes, it's a state of mind. At college and into my mid twenties I'd probably have been happy to do the same, these days not so.

srw

and if you look for advice on this matter then you'll be told to run an old heap but still expect it to be stolen every so often or vandalised and dn't leave lights/saddle/seatpost on it etc. You'll even get advice that tells you to just be a cheapo, no questions asked, down the market and rinse and repeat as required. Thus helping to support the trade in stolen bikes, it's a state of mind. At college and into my mid twenties I'd probably have been happy to do the same, these days not so.
Wikipedia says there are 500,000 bike journeys in London each day. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_London). Allowing for people taking days off, cycling occasionally and the fact that a lot of those journeys are done in pairs, let's say there are 500,000 cyclists in London.

The Met Police (http://lcc.org.uk/discussions/21-770-bike-thefts-reported-to-met-police-in-2012) says there are 21,000 bike thefts in London per year. Allowing for under-reporting (I make no comment by whom), let's say there are 50,000 (it also makes the maths easy).

There's a 10% chance, if you're a London cyclist, of getting your bike stolen each year. Conveniently that cross-checks roughly against the typical bike theft insurance premium, which is 10% of bike value. It's probably a bit high, but it's order-of-magnitude right. That's not a huge risk. The risk is clearly higher for people who leave their bike outside, but actually my best guess is that those of us who have higher protection (private garages at work, folding bikes that can be taken into the office, Boris bikes) are in the small minority.

By contrast, the theft rate for private cars appears to be about 1.2%. That's actually not a whole lot lower in the grand scheme of things.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wikipedia says there are 500,000 bike journeys in London each day. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_in_London). Allowing for people taking days off, cycling occasionally and the fact that a lot of those journeys are done in pairs, let's say there are 500,000 cyclists in London.

The Met Police (http://lcc.org.uk/discussions/21-770-bike-thefts-reported-to-met-police-in-2012) says there are 21,000 bike thefts in London per year. Allowing for under-reporting (I make no comment by whom), let's say there are 50,000 (it also makes the maths easy).

There's a 10% chance, if you're a London cyclist, of getting your bike stolen each year. Conveniently that cross-checks roughly against the typical bike theft insurance premium, which is 10% of bike value. It's probably a bit high, but it's order-of-magnitude right. That's not a huge risk. The risk is clearly higher for people who leave their bike outside, but actually my best guess is that those of us who have higher protection (private garages at work, folding bikes that can be taken into the office, Boris bikes) are in the small minority.

By contrast, the theft rate for private cars appears to be about 1.2%. That's actually not a whole lot lower in the grand scheme of things.

Well I'd class 10% per annum as a pretty high risk and that doesn't really take into account that the vast majority of bikes I've seen locked up in London are total beaters. Like you I have no idea on the actual unreported levels but I'd take a fair guess that for components and vandalism it's pretty high.

Partly this is my own attitude, for example I view a car as a utility tool and couldn't care less if it was stolen whereas I don't feel the same towards bikes....therein may be my problem.

U

User482

2887385 said:
You are out of kilter with society there. I have in the past had many holidays where a car with a load of bikes on it went on a ferry to France. I often noted the appalling ratio between the money people are prepared to pay for a car v the pittance they are prepared to spend on a bike.
I've noticed the same. I've been perhaps the only person whose bikes comfortably outweigh the value of his car...

U

User482

... but then you are Managing Director of Wiggle?

I'm their Equality and Diversity Officer.

srw

The last car we bought cost less than the last bike. Both were second-hand; the bike was older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom