Paralympic champion cyclist Simon Richardson road crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Guru
From the BBC A gold medal-winning Paralympic cyclist has suffered multiple injuries after being involved in a hit-and-run crash with a van near Bridgend.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
From the BBC A gold medal-winning Paralympic cyclist has suffered multiple injuries after being involved in a hit-and-run crash with a van near Bridgend.

Sounds like he was not the only one injured and hit. I hope the poor sod pulls through and makes a full recovery!

dodgy

According to his Twitter feed and that of Onix Bikes (his sponsor), he's broke his back in 2 places, broken pelvis and detached lung.

His doctors say he will never ride again.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Road.cc this morning states that his condition is critical, but stable.

If they're giving people 4 years for inciting violence via Facebook, when they charge the guy that did this, they want to make sure that he gets significantly longer inside...

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Road.cc this morning states that his condition is critical, but stable.

If they're giving people 4 years for inciting violence via Facebook, when they charge the guy that did this, they want to make sure that he gets significantly longer inside...

I bet he if he got off and one of us put his name and address, perhaps even a photo of him online, we'd get 4 bloody years.

I think some of this accident is attributed to the general attitude of some white van drivers in the UK towards cyclists. I mean to just drive off too? OMG!

As some on the forum may know, Im based in Spain, and actually took up cycling down here. So most of my thousands of km of cycling are in Spain. Last year I cycle toured up to the UK.

I got off the ferry in Portsmouth, and 30 minutes later, Im on a country road coming out of town, and there is a white van behind me. Im keeping as much left as i could, but the roads in england are horrible. So narrow, so bendy, he couldnt get past safety for a good couple of minutes. Eventually he did over take, then after he did so, he just slammed his breaks on, on a hill, causing me to have to break hard too, and dismount. Then he drives off again! :S There was nothing in his way, there was no reason for him to stop like that. He just did that to piss me off. 30 minutes into the UK having cycled 2000km through Spain and France!! I never had any bother with any motorist here in Spain. But that just set a bad tone for how people are in the UK with cyclists.

I really hope this guy pulls through, doctors say "he'll never ride again".. well he did it before, and im sure he'll do it again!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I live in the Vale of Glamorgan and often cycle Crack hill which is an A road (A48) but generally a good road to cycle on .

No point speculating on the cause . No excuse for not stopping ,Hope the callous barsteward gets the book thrown at him.

I didnt know Simon Richardson personally but hope he pulls through OK.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
The Race Pace Blog provides the following update on Simon's progress which sounds encouraging!

Simon has been bought out of sedation today and the ventilator has also been removed which has been assisting his breathing. Medical staff want to see how his breathing can function unaided, so fingers crossed this afternoon that progress can be made. His condition remains critical but stable.

Blog Link

Has anyone heard any update on the arrest of the culprit?

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
This is heartbreaking news. He is obviously a man of great courage and determination. He rode before, he may ride again.
I have met people who were told they would never walk again, climb again etc by doctors and they have.
Doctors do not know everything and they can't predict the future.
So best of luck to Simon Richardson.

As for the appallingly light sentences for this kind of offence that we see meeted out in our courts day after day for this kind of offence it's appalling. The drivers are not even banned for life only up to four years maximum.:angry:

Clearly if you leave the scene of an accident without stopping you have a reason to. i.e. you are pissed, you were using a mobile phone, you were up to no good etc.

In parliment there is a rule that any petition which gathers 100,000 signatures must be debated in Parliment. Perhaps a petition started on here and other websites would address these issues. With the ammount of members this forum has it could also be put on other forums that members here are members of. There could be a million signatures.

It could ask for a ten year minimum sentence for such an offence and an automatic natural life worldwide driving ban.
This could also extend to taking someones life with a vehicle through fault.

Unfortunately my knowledge of computing does not extend to doing such things so would anyone else be prepared to knock up a petition I wonder. Trust me I would do it if I could but I can't so perhaps someone else would carry the idea through on my behalf.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
On top of whatever sentence given (and i hope it is in keeping with the offence) I don't see why there should not be a lifetime driving ban for offences of this type. The sort of person capable of driving off and leaving someone for dead cannot in my opinion ever be trusted to act responsibly behind the wheel. Also it will give him pause for thoguht every time he has to take the bus somewhere and will hopefully nag at him for the rest of his life.

Top Bottom