Parking fees for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is it right Finsbury Park, London Bridge and Walthamstow are currently charging £1.50 a day for secure cycle parking? I guess with secure parking there's more of a justification for a fee, but £1.50? Seems a bit steep.

mark barker

Given the price of land in London and the cost of wages, I'd have thought £1.50 was quite cheap!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That's surely less than the hourly car parking charge in the same area.
I don't think we can expect free parking everywhere.

snorri

Legendary Member
I was asked to pay 8 euros per night for secure parking at the Hotel Kyjev in Bratislava this summer, and they advertise as a budget hotel!!!
Needless to say I went and found another hotel where parking charge was never mentioned.

Davidc

Guru
There's a cost associated with providing secure parking, so it seems inevitable that there are going to be charges.

Rather a reasonable small charge than getting back to no bike, part of a bike, vandalised bike or whatever.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's a cost associated with providing secure parking, so it seems inevitable that there are going to be charges.

Rather a reasonable small charge than getting back to no bike, part of a bike, vandalised bike or whatever.

There is a cost associated but for example the council here believed that it was such a huge bonus having secure cycle parking that they didn't want to charge for it and wanted it to come out of the LA government. There's certainly a cost for the land/building, that's what the administration vetoed :angry: so we'll never have one.

TheJollyJimLad

I know there was a consultation by TfL a few years ago to reactivate old railway arches by London Termini to create not just secure cycle parking but additional facilities such as Wi-Fi, Showers plus drinking water to fill up a water bottles etc. I think it would certainly encourage more people to cycle in from Greater London (even beyond) where showers aren't supplied at work.
Do you agree that this could be a way forward and are people more likely to pay if parking came with extra facilties?

marinyork

I know there was a consultation by TfL a few years ago to reactivate old railway arches by London Termini to create not just secure cycle parking but additional facilities such as Wi-Fi, Showers plus drinking water to fill up a water bottles etc. I think it would certainly encourage more people to cycle in from Greater London (even beyond) where showers aren't supplied at work.
Do you agree that this could be a way forward and are people more likely to pay if parking came with extra facilties?

As I've already said it's not just London, it's elsewhere. A secure facility here would probably have led to a mini boom in cycling to the core of the city centre, where ironically enough there is the least capacity for cycle parking, yet the greatest demand -other areas of the city centre having more cycle parking - has the least parking. Most proposed secure bicycle facilities have the 'extras' of which you speak, except wi-fi. In London you've probably got the problem of charging because if it was put in a really good location it would be permanently parked out. That said £1.50 is a lot too a poor person, Riverman is very correct on this.

mark barker

Here in Swindon the secure parking offers nothing other than bike racks in a cage, but thats all it needs really. The scheme is "free" although you have to pay £10 for the swipe card to access the area....

marinyork

Here in Swindon the secure parking offers nothing other than bike racks in a cage, but thats all it needs really. The scheme is "free" although you have to pay £10 for the swipe card to access the area....

Does it have limited hours? Or is it 24hr?

BigSteev

Is it right Finsbury Park, London Bridge and Walthamstow are currently charging £1.50 a day for secure cycle parking? I guess with secure parking there's more of a justification for a fee, but £1.50? Seems a bit steep.

I believe that Walthamstow does charge £1.50 for it's 'secure' cycle parking at the station, however, as their definition of secure and mine* differ considerably, I still wouldn't use it.

*My bike will be guaranteed to be there upon return in the same state I left it. Leaving it there is not at my risk.

marinyork

Its open 24/7, (and you can leave your bike in there for upto 6 weeks at a time :wacko: )

I think that's reasonable enough. As was pointed out by the cycle big whigs here though, ideally in a city the size of swindon or bigger you'd have two or three secure cycle parking facilities in the city centre and then smaller schemes of other sorts in shopping areas outside the city centre and railway stations/transport interchanges.

marinyork

I believe that Walthamstow does charge £1.50 for it's 'secure' cycle parking at the station, however, as their definition of secure and mine* differ considerably, I still wouldn't use it.

*My bike will be guaranteed to be there upon return in the same state I left it. Leaving it there is not at my risk.

What are their facilities?

Top Bottom