Parking on Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baneli

264899_10150710102725230_549830229_19819590_4425775_n.jpg

How about that for some annoying parking on a cycle lane... Was on the path that leads from Rampton up to Cottenham in Cambridgeshire and after slugging up a hill which is a bitch to us none fit riders I had to stop because of this.. camera came out and photo was taken! There was 2 guys sat in the van as well who saw me taking the photo in the mirror but didn't say anything. I wanted to ask why they were parked there but I am not one for confrontation :sad:

BSRU

A Human Being
Being a company vehicle you have someone to complain to if you so wish. Many companies will be very responsive but also some will not care.

If you're a cyclist move on to the road and go around it - its no big deal.

If you're a pedestrian slash the tyres and put a brick through the windscreen.

It's not really a cycle path anyway - its a footpath with a bit of white paint.

When the local authority threatened to take away the free school bus from Rampton to Cottenham (were talking about a distance of approx 1/1.5 miles here) the parents were up-in-arms about the suggestion that their little darlings cycle along the "dangerous" cycle path - and the authority caved-in. So there you have it - the path's officially unsafe for cyclists.

This is where the path starts - some groovy line marking there.

OP
OP
B

Baneli

Think your missing the point a bit Alien8, yeah it's not the best cycle path in the world.. they cant paint the white lines straight and it is a shared path with pedestrians but it's the fact they should not be parked on it really. I did end up just going round but what if as XmisterIS said, a lady and a pushchair came along, which I see almost everyday.

It wasn't really much of an inconvenience to me at all but thought you guys would like a bit of a laugh :smile:

Think your missing the point a bit Alien8...

No, I think you're missing the point.

I've already said from a pedestrian's perspective its not on.

From a cyclist's view, well, ride on the road all the way (we're not talking about the A14 here).

It's just (yet) another example of a brain-dead cycling facility used to fuel the fire of those that don't want cyclists on the road.

abo

How nice to see that they've blocked the cycle lane and the pavement. It looks like someone with a pushchair or a wheelchair would be completely stuck.

Some numpty parked like that next to my kids' school, near kicking out time. A single person could walk through the gap but nothing else. It was when my middle child was still in a pushchair and I was on my way to pick eldest up.

Anyway, the driver of said car was still in there, usual traffic chaos going on so I wasn't going to go round on the roadside with an 18 month old in a pushchair so I squeezed through, and put a nice stripe down the side of his car in the process :whistle:

He got out but before he said anything I just looked at him and said 'shouldn't be parked on the path mate'. He decided to take no further action and got back in his car...

abo

This is where the path starts - some groovy line marking there.

LMAO!

campbellab

I would guess most people parking up on the pavement/paths are trying to be considerate to other road users to keep it clear. They are just ignorant of other problems that it causes...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Typical that they're really considerate, to the extent of breaking the law to avoid obstructing the road. Now how are we cyclists going to be able to terrorise pedestrians when the pavements blocked.....:whistle:

OP
OP
B

Baneli

lol at Alien8... that is all

funny thing is about 20 yards up the road on the right there is a layby which he can use to park up if he really needs be :tongue: Yeah I see that he is probably thinking park like that to get of the road so other road users can get past which is fine for them but not for me.. I am not the most comfident cyclist yet and want to be able to use a cycle lane if one is provided and wasnt able to. Yeah I just ended up going road him but that fact is I shouldnt have to do it :tongue:

funny thing is about 20 yards up the road on the right there is a layby which he can use to park up if he really needs be

Oh yeah, you're quite right. Most people stick their vehicles on pavements, corners, junctions and on yellows outside shops etc because the brain-dead lard-arses can't be bothered to walk the extra few yards. But that's (a lot of) people for you.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Oh yeah, you're quite right. Most people stick their vehicles on pavements, corners, junctions and on yellows outside shops etc because the brain-dead lard-arses can't be bothered to walk the extra few yards. But that's (a lot of) people for you.

I can never get my head round the sheer laziness of some folk.
I have a Blue Badge (for my son) which enables me to park just about anywhere (when he's in the car with me)
But I will always find a proper spot or one that is not obstructing traffic, and would never dream of parking on a pavement/cycle path (Unless it was an absolute emergency)

Top Bottom