Part of us missing .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
With the passing of Sir Norman and Tony Curtis.Who we never met .But we think we know them .Because they filled part of our early lives .

I have been thinking of other entertainers who brought me joy .the list is too long to mention all ,but one from the radio stands out .Jimmy Clitheroe.

With radio you had to use your imagination and young Jimmy got into allsorts of scrapes .

I am just an old grumpy .But comedy of years past .Beats all of todays mob .

snorri

Legendary Member

Bill Gates

Morecambe and Wise; Tommy Cooper; Les Dawson; Tony Hancock; Sid James; Harry Corbett; Arthur Lowe, Spike Milligan; Peter Sellers; Peter Cook; Dudley Moore to name but a few.

Morecambe and Wise; Tommy Cooper; Les Dawson; Tony Hancock; Sid James; Harry Corbett; Arthur Lowe, Spike Milligan; Peter Sellers; Peter Cook; Dudley Moore to name but a few.
Benny Hill I'd put in the list - and Frankie Howerd (curious coincidence: - they both died on the same day). And certainly Kenneth Williams has a top spot - not to forget Hugh Paddick (the other half of "Julian and Sandy").

Why are all the best comics dead? And why did so many of them die so young? :sad:

Dick Emery, used to crack me up the skinhead and his dad skit.
All of Dick Emery's personas were a scream - hard to pick between them. The camp "hello honky-tonk" one, Hettie the frustrated spinster ("Excuse me madam" .... "Miss"), the vicar, the skinhead and dad as you said, to cap it all Mandy ("ooohh you are awful!") the blonde bombshell. All missed!

gbb

Legendary Member
Benny Hill I'd put in the list - and Frankie Howerd (curious coincidence: - they both died on the same day). And certainly Kenneth Williams has a top spot - not to forget Hugh Paddick (the other half of "Julian and Sandy").

Why are all the best comics dead? And why did so many of them die so young? :sad:

I used to wonder this, and the passing of an old (not so old) friend made me think....(perhaps its bollox).
I used to know an Irish fella, one of the funniest people i have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was insanely funny, used to have us in stitches all the time. He died at 51 which was a huge shock (it just sent a shiver down me and he died years ago) . He wasn't unfit or overweight, but, perhaps like some of the above, his humour used to mask some deep insecurities and depression. He used to lurch from insanely funny to deeply morose. Deep inside, you can only wonder if it has an effect on ones lifespan/wellbeing.

Crankarm

Guru
British Comedy, the best int World. At least one can say Made in Britain with pride and know it IS the best whether Stan Laurel, Norman Wisdom, Tony Hancock, Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Tommy Cooper, Ken Dodd, Eric Morecombe, Ronnie Barker, Peter Sellers, John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson, Dick Emery, Canon and Ball, David Jason, Eric Sykes, Arthur Lowe, Leonard Rossiter, Robert Lindsay, Steve Coogan, Peter Kay, Lee Evans, Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant they are all part of the rich tapestry of British Comedy. Behind the comics are also great writers Galton and Simpson, Jimmy Perry and David Croft, Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais, David Nobbs, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, John Sullivan, Richard Curtis and Ben Elton, Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews, Gervais and Merchant, soooooooo much talent.

Top Bottom