Parts bin Shimpagnolo turbo trainer build.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
The first thing I would say if you are considering a similar project, is don’t bother! Unless like you me you enjoy the process, just buy a used bike, it’s far cheaper.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, my son is fed up with everyone using his bike on the TT, so I thought I had enough stuff lying around to build up a dedicated bike that could sit permanently on the Tacx.

I’ve got a complete 9 speed Sora groupset which is in great condition, lots of other odds and sods including a nice Campy Eurus wheelset and Chorus cassette.

I sourced a spotless Ribble 49cm Dedacciai EM2 frame with carbon forks off the bay of dreams for sensible money.

This arrived today and it’s mint.

However I have been missing lots of small bits and pieces which always add up, although I have finally accumulated everything to build it up, so I thought I’d share the build experience here.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Good luck with the project.
If just for the turbo, do you need brakes?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The first thing I would say if you are considering a similar project, is don’t bother! Just buy a used bike it’s far cheaper.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while, my son is fed up with everyone using his bike on the TT, so I thought I had enough stuff lying around to build up a dedicated bike that could sit permanently on the Tacx.

I’ve got a complete 9 speed Sora groupset which is in great condition, lots of other odds and sods including a nice Campy Eurus wheelset.

View attachment 553465

View attachment 553466

I sourced a nice Ribble 49cm aluminium frameset off the bay of dreams for sensible money.

View attachment 553468

This arrived today and it’s mint.

View attachment 553470
However I have been missing lots of small bits and pieces which always add up, although I have finally accumulated everything to build it up, so I thought I’d share the build experience here.
i had that exact frame on watch on ebay - to build a turbo bike lol

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I had some time this afternoon so I started building it up, the frame is lovely quality, almost a bit too good just to put on a turbo.

CFCA39BB-D5A2-4F81-86E5-2FAD48130C17.jpeg

I fitted a new BB, the saddle and bars, all Deda to match the frame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Cabling all done, next job bar tape. Cup of tea first though.

Very impressed with the Clarks cable kits. Very high quality.

DFB23D07-EB52-4689-ACC9-B28A4D08F020.jpeg

712C8A3F-FAA1-409D-8846-28D8E774897F.jpeg

8F59D76A-D10E-4649-A1AF-D7B171635004.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Wheels fitted, I’m just waiting for a Lockring to arrive and then I’ll fit the chain and set up the gearing.

9E054018-45FF-4F83-A491-A44417D4C3E6.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
The correct Lockring arrived today so I was able to finish the build, A quicklink Reconnected the chain and after a bit of adjustment I got it all working.

4CD4BE58-A92C-4FDE-A5D0-9737094A21F2.jpeg

The Campag and Shimano mix is not great but for a turbo it’s fine, The wheelset is earmarked for another project so I will swap the wheels and run a correct Shimano 9 speed cassette in the future.

20A40674-58BD-4219-8872-EAAD2C9BDA36.jpeg

Quite pleased with it, it’s a pretty little bike.

DF854B41-7A65-43D5-AACF-9E0DD250A0F4.jpeg

F0440A4B-7AB0-4BD6-8DF8-798BD9A8A018.jpeg

I fitted it to Tacx and runs like a dream, the riding position is perfect. My daughter is going to do 20kms on it later.

90EF58D9-0A81-42FD-92DE-A726FE3223A8.jpeg

Final costs were about £225, excluding the groupset which I already had.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
A quick update, both my daughter and I have been putting some miles on it today, no snags, it all works really well. The 49cm frame was a real find, fits both us perfectly and the riding position is comfortable. It would be good to try it on the road, It's a very nice bike.

Long term I may swap the wheelset and re-fit the Sora cassette, however the Eurus wheelset is top quality and better than I thought it would be (I did some hill sections on the Tacx today), it's not the slickest of changes but OK for a turbo and I'm uber fussy. Another option is to refit the cassette using narrower spacers to mimic the Shimano cassette. However for some reason Campy plastic spacers are the more expensive than 24 carat gold, so that is not a economical option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom