Patisserie Valerie madness

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Blue Hills, 11 Oct 2018.

1. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45824285

I have encountered this outfit in the news now and again.

Without looking into it.

Always did a slight double take as I remember in the mid 80s a good friend of mine and me were wont to meet up in Soho coffee bars (still some wonderful 50s hangovers from the 50s coffee bar invasion then) and, for want of anything else, for it was pre coffee becoming trendy, wimpy bars, for a good natter and man to man chat about emotional matters, as men do. And he would sing the praises of this nice old place on Old Compton Street.

so I looked it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patisserie_Valerie

and it offers the info that a bit after our coffee nattering glory period, it was taken over by something called, of all things:

Risk Capital Partners

and expanded into a "concept"

and expanded massively, to today's sad news.

oh my oh my

Just coffee and bleedin' cake.

Hopefully good.

Have I become a grumpy old man?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2018
    Illaveago likes this.
  2. PK99

PK99 Guru

It's going to be interesting

Did the alleged fraud happen?
    When?
    Were the auditors asleep on the job?

Illaveago likes this.
  3. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Too-rapid expansion with premium coffee / cake in a congested market. When people are now reining back spending.

Illaveago likes this.
  4. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

Slightly off topic, but I went into Cafe Nero on Monday, normally buy a brew before going into the office Mon-Wed, it's gone up to £2.70 for a black coffee to go, that's from £2.10 to £2,70 in around 4 years, I have 1 free card left & that will be it for me, time to brew one in the office again, gone is my luxury.

Illaveago and NorthernDave like this.
  5. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I like cake. But no cake is worth their prices... not just for a slice.

6. PK99

PK99 Guru

That's not like the reports read, CFO is suspended and clear allegations of fraud - business seems solid but there is a hole where the cash should be....

Illaveago likes this.
  7. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Wife will be beside herself, she loves PV cake.

Shame about all the workers, hopefully some good may turn up for them

Illaveago and AndyRM like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

A fine espresso still available in many great Italian espresso bars (in Italy) for one euro I think.

On a recent long bike ride of mine I had 6 (3 double shot) espressos - a serious amount of money at those rates (though I did make them bedside a canal and in two fields).

Pity - cafe nero does, I will acknowledge, sell decent coffee.

One of my favourites.

9. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

we went into one in yourk and it was alright, pretty dam good actually.

kevin_cambs_uk likes this.
  10. alicat

alicat Guru

I didn't realise that they own Druckers and Philpotts as well. Druckers will be missed in the midlands.

11. Foreign rubbish, wait til Brexit and we get Big Val's Cake Shoppe. That'll get the crowds n and it'll be a roaring success.

12. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Oddly enough the one in Lincoln is very busy.

13. kynikos

kynikos Active Member

I've only been in the once, in Chester, and somewhat thirsty having walked round the walls. I asked the waitress for two cups of tea. After a long wait a different waitress came and started setting up the table for a feast.

"Sorry" I say, "I think there's been a mistake, we've only ordered two cups of tea." "Not a problem" she replies and off she goes.

One minute later the original waitress returned and somewhat angrily said "You ordered afternoon teas". "No, just the two cups" says I. Almost screaming she repeated her diatribe at which point we upped and left.

The gin and tonics in a nearby hostelry were very nice.

I'm sure she'd had an off day and my experience wasn't typical but with plenty of choice on the high street I've not set foot in one since.

14. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

Yep, sympathy for the employees from me too, but not for the greedy folk running the place.

Illaveago and meta lon like this.
  15. meta lon

meta lon Guru

That's the way of things these days sadly

Illaveago likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice