Pavement cycling police...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

Yesterday, on my way into town.

Saw a less than strange sight, a police officer on a bicycle. On the pavement, coming round a corner, into a crowd of pedestrians.
:wacko:

Worse, it was at a junction with an advanced stop line.
>_<

I almost, almost beeped him. But thought better of it, and rationalised that he probably had a "good" reason for being there.

But still, I wonder how many people saw and thought "oh, that's where bikes are supposed to be"

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes, agreed. They're the same in my home town too. You do have to suppress the "what are you doing on the pavement? - you really are a bad influence you know".

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Tharg2007 said:
if you did use your horn you would have also been in the wrong

Technically speaking that is incorrect. A vehicle posed a danger so using a horn is certainly allowed in this case even when stationary. As opposed to people just using it for the hell of it.

thomas

the tank engine
They claim, it allows them to get to an emergency quicker...but I'd rather not be run over when they use the pavement to get somewhere.

I think it's very hypocritical and a bad example. If I was walking or cycle and saw it I'd be tempted to ask them about it, in a friendly way just to see their views on it...rather than just making a fuss to them.

Bman

Guru
Surely the police would have to be using their blue lights if they were doing this?

I mean, when police run red lights, or overtake around traffic islands (something that an ordinary motorist is not allowed to do under any circumstances) they have to be using their blue emergency light.

And I agree entirely. A very bad example to set. I wouldnt have used the horn either ;)

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

User3143 said:
Why would you let the cop know that you are there?

If he was doing something that could lead to harm to me, and it was either by not "seeing" me, or by not paying attention to my presence.
Or if someone was harrassing/threatening me/trying to steal my bike.

All these times it's good to draw attention not only from police, but witnesses.
People gawp when they hear a crash, but start looking when they hear frantic beeps.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Bongman said:
I mean, when police run red lights, or overtake around traffic islands (something that an ordinary motorist is not allowed to do under any circumstances) they have to be using their blue emergency light.
This is interesting as I've had two occasions in the last two days when cars have overtaken me by going the wrong side of a traffic island. I felt sure it was illegal but didn't know for definite. Why they couldn't just wait the 2 seconds for me to go past the island and then overtake normally defeats me!

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
thomas said:
They claim, it allows them to get to an emergency quicker...but I'd rather not be run over when they use the pavement to get somewhere.

I think it's very hypocritical and a bad example. If I was walking or cycle and saw it I'd be tempted to ask them about it, in a friendly way just to see their views on it...rather than just making a fuss to them.

I won't comment on the first post, I wasn't there so I can't defend or criticise the actions of the officers. I do agree with Thomas, if they are bimbling about and don't appear to be going anywhere in a hurry, then ask them?
I personally use foot paths for a number of different reasons. It can be quicker a-b than using roads. I can for instance get from my station to the centre of my patch upto 5 minutes quicker on the bike than I could in the car, even on blue lights. I will ride my bike slowly on the path to give me a better view of the srounding area. However, everything is risk assessed before, during and after the action taken. Is it hypocritical, yes sometimes. Can I account for my actions? Everytime, I like to think so.

Auntie Helen said:
This is interesting as I've had two occasions in the last two days when cars have overtaken me by going the wrong side of a traffic island. I felt sure it was illegal but didn't know for definite. Why they couldn't just wait the 2 seconds for me to go past the island and then overtake normally defeats me!

One of those rules that do not apply to emergency vehicles on a blue light run, as well as treating traffic lights as a give way. An emergency vehcle can ignore the keep left/right sign if it is safe to do so.

jimboalee

I have a couple of photos ( I will try to remember to post them later ) of cops on bikes riding on the pavement ( sidewalk ).

The one photo is just that. A cycle cop riding off the kerb straight onto the road.
The second is a cycle cop riding down the pedestrain concourse in San Francisco International Airport.

Must be chasing 'drug runners'. :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Vikeonabike said:
I personally use foot paths for a number of different reasons. It can be quicker a-b than using roads. I can for instance get from my station to the centre of my patch upto 5 minutes quicker on the bike than I could in the car, even on blue lights. I will ride my bike slowly on the path to give me a better view of the srounding area. However, everything is risk assessed before, during and after the action taken. Is it hypocritical, yes sometimes. Can I account for my actions? Everytime, I like to think so.

You are supposed to account for your actions at the time, in the same way as a driver of any police vehicle would.
It doesn't excuse your misuse of the pavement & the uniform. If you are unable to give a satisfactory answer when questioned by a member of the public as to why you chose to cycle on the pavement.
Can the three-four inch height differrence really make that much difference, to justify using the pavement.