Pay Per Mile

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's being reported in the tabloids that the Chancellor is considering introducing Pay Per Mile charges for vehicle users to offset the losses to the Treasury which will come as we switch to electric.

Apologies for source,it's the Express - https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...te-pay-per-mile-key-workers-low-income-family

Drivers currently spend around £1,500 to cover 10,000 miles when adding petrol filling costs and VED charges. However, a 75p per mile charge could see drivers pay up to £7,500 a year in a massive five times increase.
Now, I certainly think we're seeing the old political trick of "Announce possible 50,000 job losses but then only cut 10,000 jobs to be seen as the good guys" here but, setting that aside, is this feasible?

In the "for" camp, charging per mile already exists for lorries in some European countries apparently. A simple tag on the windscreen is picked up by overhead gantries. There are also a myriad of technologies to accurately track vehicle's mileages. So it's certainly possible to do this.

However, in the "against" camp there's the feeling that this will disadvantage anyone living outside urban areas or anywhere with a rotten public transport system.

I'm well aware this is a cycling forum and responses may be predictable ^_^ but can anyone see any reason why this is a bad idea?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Got to find some way of paying for the road infrastructure which (in due course electric) vehicles rely on to move around (aka the country depends on).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think it is inevitable that road pricing will arrive, it is just a matter of when and how. Whatever system is created it will disadvantage certain sections of society. A simple 'remove VED and increase fuel tax' is probably the easiest and most cost effective way to do achieve it but certainly will cause huge problems for many people. I do strongly believe that it needs to involve a carrot as well a stick to actually change people otherwise it simply becomes a revenue generator.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When all cars are driverless and electric everyone can just call up a car to pick them up and take them to a train station for an onward journey or if local to where they want to go- no need to own a car... that way the Government's cut of the rate per mile will be included in the taxi charges.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There are advantages and disadvantages of the system. Examples that spring to mind. An advantage is a variable rate that could be used to encourage alternative routes and bypasses to minimise congestion and move cars away from accident black spot areas and areas of high risk to other users. A disadvantage is that it does nothing to address the rich/poor divide and could make motoring a "rich mans" game. Which would disadvantage those on lower incomes and make it harder to better themselves. Of course in cities this is less of an issue, but there are millions that don't.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are advantages and disadvantages of the system. Examples that spring to mind. An advantage is a variable rate that could be used to encourage alternative routes and bypasses to minimise congestion and move cars away from accident black spot areas and areas of high risk to other users. A disadvantage is that it does nothing to address the rich/poor divide and could make motoring a "rich mans" game. Which would disadvantage those on lower incomes and make it harder to better themselves. Of course in cities this is less of an issue, but there are millions that don't.
Why can't the poor use bicycles just like in the old days....

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Why can't the poor use bicycles just like in the old days....
Nowt. I would promote it. But in the old days people generally only travelled t'mill or local factory, office or shop. These days due to idiotic foresight retail parks and industry are often clustered in outskirts of towns in green belt and often require a work force that travels which was made possible by relatively cheap motoring or vice versa, it doesn't matter too much. I suppose you could also argue that the lack of affordable housing plays a part in people needing to cover miles to get to work as well.

spen666

Guru
When all cars are driverless and electric everyone can just call up a car to pick them up and take them to a train station for an onward journey or if local to where they want to go- no need to own a car... that way the Government's cut of the rate per mile will be included in the taxi charges.
Sure your local builder or plumber etc will be happy to spend first hour or 2 of shift loading and unloading vehicle, then same at other end of shift.

not sure they will have much time to do any work, after that and the travelling

spen666

Guru
Nowt. I would promote it. But in the old days people generally only travelled t'mill or local factory, office or shop. These days due to idiotic foresight retail parks and industry are often clustered in outskirts of towns in green belt and often require a work force that travels which was made possible by relatively cheap motoring or vice versa, it doesn't matter too much. I suppose you could also argue that the lack of affordable housing plays a part in people needing to cover miles to get to work as well.

Not sure people want to live nextdoor to the pollution or smell of abatoir, factory etc.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Not sure people want to live nextdoor to the pollution or smell of abatoir, factory etc.
Sure it sort of reinforces my point. But take Amazon warehouse in Rugeley, near where I live. At its busiest it employs almost 2000 people. In a town with less than 20000 people, which has a lot of industry. Rugeley isn't a friendly place to cycle to from outside the town. People travel from all over to work there. Then there is Fradley park just up the road a tiny village which has thousands of job's then just up the A38 there is an Argos warehouse. Not a house in sight and to get there you ideally need to travel on a treacherous part of the A38. Not a chance in hell I'd cycle on that...

Top Bottom