Pay your fare or get thrown off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The fare-dodger has already caused controversy by complaining about his treatment on the forum of Singletrack mag. Sorry, can't link you as I can't access STW while at work.

Zoiders

Having read the singletrack thread it may just be possible that the person posting is not really the fare dodger.

Someone once told me (and I am shocked as some of you about this) that some people on the internet may not be who they claim to be.

Result, that's how parasites should be treated. Can't help but think the helpful passenger has left himself open to allegations of assault, respect to him for taking a stance though.

Zoiders

Is he buggery.

I was treated to a drunk loudly hurling racist abuse at two train staff while at Notts Station because they had asked him not to let his son rollerblade on the platform, I said rather loudly to myself that "FFS" or something to that effect and he then chose to walk over to my seat and threaten me as well.

At this stage I stood up and threatened to put him in casualty if he didnt get off the train and then backed him up to door with the intention of making good on my promise, then he got off and left, as we left the station I could see he was now in the arms of BTP and they did not seem the slightest bit concerned about him having been booted off the train.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Someone once told me (and I am shocked as some of you about this) that some people on the internet may not be who they claim to be.

True story, I come across as a fit, young cyclist, where I'm actually a middle aged minicab driver who moonlights as a cheerleader :smile:

In seriousness though, I reckon the big bloke was in the right, he asked the conductor's permission before touching the perpetrator, and he was technically trespassing on the train (which I suppose is likened to private land?).

[QUOTE 1642941, member: 9609"]I have no time for the fare dodger, but I have little time for the big man and his actions should certainly be question by the law. It sort of verges on vigilantism and that is very dangerous ground, make the big man some sort of hero and we will have no end of nasty thugs patrolling our streets looking for excuses to kick the shoot out of some unsuspecting individual who accidentally drops a piece of litter, or some tattooed monster in a 4x4 who rams a cyclist off the road for breaching some minor traffic offence.

Why couldn't the guard/conductor have arranged for the police to meet the train at the next stop, why was he trying to involve the other passengers. So to sum it up - waste of space fare dodger, incompetent guard and a bully - what a combination.[/quote]

A vigilante bully or a helpful member of the public who went to the assistance of a person in authority.

Depends on your view point I suppose, I'll take the latter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I often wish I was built in a way that would make intimidation possible. Only on the side of good, of course....

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
He deserved to go purely for the hat he was wearing.

Bluebell72

Don't feel for the kid at all. Why swear and scream obscenities at someone who is doing their job? And then go bleating that he's injured. {pathetic}

Too many times, things happen and no-one takes a stand until it is too late - if you watch the video, everyone is enthralled at the proceedings, and once the wrongdoer is removed, they all burst into applause. If beanie-boy had produced a weapon, would they have all avoided eye contact?

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
I am a copper and sometimes use the local train for free *on the understanding* that if anything happens I am expected to deal with it.
The minute I saw that clip I thought they big guy may have been a copper. I don't know whether, if he's just a member of the public, he would be charged with assault; CPS would probably say it's not in the public interest, he didn't viciously attack the kid, he just made him get off a train. Hardly GBH is it.
The only other thing is that the little man was allegedly waiting to pay his upgrade after he mistakenly bought the wrong ticket, can't he just have been asked to pay the correct fare?

U

User482

I'm amazed that people are getting so worked up about this petty crime. As I pointed out on STW, it is highly likely that the people complaining loudest are regular law-breakers themselves.

Top Bottom